Options

1993 Rinker 180

MHagnauerMHagnauer Member Posts: 1
My wife and I are thinking about purchasing a 1993 Rinker 180. I growing up around boats as a kid have always wanted on and we figured we give it a shot. The Boat its self is in great shape for the age. Just worrying about the engine and what I should be looking for. Is it possible to get the hours off of the engine? The shop said it is not able to. It comes with a 30 day warranty. Really nervous as it will be our first experience with a boat and I wanna make sure it doesn't leave a bad taste in our mouths. 

Comments

• Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2019
    What kind of motor is it?  How much are they asking?

I had a 1993 Crownline 182 and the hour guages were around 850 and that was back in 2007.

Best thing is to check compression, look at the oil and see how it runs.  That will tell you the overall condition vs how many hours it has.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    See if you can get a survey.  That will give you a really goo idea of the boat's overall condition excluding the motors.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭✭
    If you don't want to go the full survey route - which you should - at the very least do what @skennelly recommends plus get an engine oil analysis. It can tell you a lot of things about the engine. Most boat yards offer the service, or you can do it yourself via a mail order kit. Just Google "engine oil analysis."