2002 342 FV Power Outlet Low Voltage

BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
edited June 2019 in Rinker Custom Projects
I'm having an issue with the 3 power outlets on the starboard side of the boat (wet bar, aft couch and fwd couch).  I checked their voltage with a multi-meter and it's reading 89 volts.  I'm plugged into shore power and the panel is reading fine with 120 volts.

The outlet for for the galley counter is working fine and reading (124 volts).  From the schematic diagram I have, it looks like the other three outlets are all on the same circuit together and not connected to the galley outlet circuit.

Any thoughts on what to check?  Thanks!

Comments

• IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2019
    On our 310 of similar vintage the power coming in goes to a power distribution rail behind the panel. Pop the panel and check connections at the breaker and feed.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Any bets it is a bad GFI outlet?

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond anything is possible though I'd expect those to be pass/fail versus partial power.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GFI is either on or off. Check your connections on the receptacles. Maybe a loose neutral wire or some such.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
    Assuming they daisy chain the other outlets from the GFI outlet then a poor connection to the GFI outlet could be the trouble.

• BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
    I have an update.

Checked the GFI's and all worked good.  If the schematic I have is correct, the 3 outlets are on their own circuit, and there is no GFI on any of the 3 outlets.

Nothing plugged into them powers up due to the low voltage.  What would cause the loss in voltage?  Could it be corroded connections?  

I figure a loose connection would be intermittent and not just cause a low, yet steady, voltage.
  • dalekdalek Member Posts: 258 ✭✭✭
    May well be a corroded connection. The fact you are reading 89 volts may be misleading. Try plugging a lamp or simple load into one of the sockets and I suspect the voltage will drop to zero.
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could also be a bad breaker.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    edited June 2019
    I am assuming this is a new problem?  

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • BlackWatchBlackWatch Member Posts: 18
    New update...works fine with generator on...and then worked briefly while plugged into shore power, then stops.

With respect to being a new problem...it's a new boat for me, so not sure on the history.
  • cettialpha6cettialpha6 Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
    I would try this;
    Shut off you 15A breaker and disconnect the wire (12/3) at the output - going to outlets
    Take your meter and measure for 120v at INPUT side of 15A breaker,(use a known good ground or neutral)
    If you have 120v, turn 15A breaker on and measure for 120v at OUTPUT side with NO wire connection
    If you have 120v reconnect 12/3 OUTPUT wire and start disconnecting individual outlets.
    This probably a PIA and easier said than done.

Of course, if there is no 120v at INPUT side of the 15A breaker, check your bus bar connections or swap the 15A breaker with another one on the panel. Since your other circuits have 120v and are working, the bus bar must have 120v. 
    Hope this helps, I've never seen this electrical panel, just going off the print.
    Art

If I recall, the wires were not easy to remove from the outlets.  I replaced the outlets on the dinette with outlets that have USB ports for charging and I want to say the old ones were riveted or otherwise attached, not like in a house.

Yup. Riveted in place. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭✭
    Couple of ideas for you.  I just recently went this path as well. The three outlets in the cabin are also connected to the one next to the topside refrigerator.  For me that was the culprit.  All outlets are put in with rivits and will have to be drilled out.  Also the wires are run to plugs (Anderson Power pole plugs) at the boxes.  What i did on mine was to first pull ALL of the outlets out so there was just wires hanging.  Then put them back in one at a time starting with the GFI by the main kitchen sink.  Actually just to be safe i went out and bought all new outlets.  Might as well as they are a pain to get in and out.  The culprit for me was the topside outlet.  If you pull all the outlets off of the wires and still have the same readings then your problem is in the circuit breaker panel.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • ChesapeakeChesapeake Member Posts: 29
    edited July 2019
    I would like to replace my outlets as well and found out they are riveted in place.  How to you get those suckers out? Drill them?  Edit: Never mind, davidbrooks answered my question above. 
    Drill out the rivets...breaker off though!  Rivet back in place. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI