Options

Power loss

ClintonClinton Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
I just had a reman engine put in my boat. I took it out, cruised around at about 3500rpm. I used all the electronics with no issue and very, very little volt loss on my gauge when I used trim tabs or things like that... Then on the way back to the dock I was using the trim tab to level the boat and it dropped my volts so low so quick it nearly shut the engine off. I did it again for a half sec just to confirm there was an issue and my engine nearly died again. I made it back to the dock without the engine stalling. What could be the problem???? Volts stayed around 13 unless I used accessories. I didn't touch the trim tabs again. 

Comments

• Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    Sounds like you have an issue with the pump motor (if hydraulic) or the tab actuator (if electric) sucking lots of juice before popping a breaker/fuse.
    Post edited by Ian on

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2019
    I have the same issue but not as severe. My RPM’s would drop when I used the tabs. Just last week I turned on my blower while underway and the RPMs dropped. Last season I replaced the pump and the issue was still there. I think I have it narrowed down to the batteries not being fully charged before leaving the dock even though the gauge showed 13 +. I usually leave my battery switch off when I leave the boat. Today I turned the switch on at the dock and left it plugged in charging while I got the boat ready. Before I left the dock, I put my tabs down and then left. Once out to open water I gave it throttle came up on plane and brought the tabs up. No more RPM drop for the rest of the ride. I played with the switches and nothing. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For your boat to do that mid trip, it could possibly be a failing alternator.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Had a similar issue when I’m anchored and the batteries are low when I run back and use the tabs I get a alarm sound but no loss of engine rpm but the alternator gauge is 13 +