Options

200 miles under the keel in one day ... or, how a house fire ruined our cruise

Comments

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    9 weeks is bull poppie. The wife is right sit down with a bottle of scotch and watch the full moon. Time and patience on the rebuild.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @reneechris14 Scotch eh? The five I have kept on the shelf for decades have been "my Fab Five": Oban, Talisker, Cardhu, Dalwhinnie and Abelour. We just finished a bottle of Abelour from a case I had of Batch #9 .....want to guess what batch the number is now? There was enough left for four of us to have a good shot of it! Took some pictures for posterity. IMO that five covers just about every taste desire! :-)

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Okay, it has been 10 weeks since I said anything.  In case you're thinking I'm back in the house ... uhhh, no.  Still living in the rental.  

By this weekend, five months into the ordeal, my big progress to report will be:  shingles on the roof.  Then the inside of the house will be dry for the first time, and we can start making real progress.  My dream of moving in January probably won't happen.  

I have only good things to say about State Farm.  The company really does seem committed to making sure we stay happy.  My gripes are mainly with the county bureaucracy, but I guess everything takes longer than it takes.  

On the plus side, Handy gave me some good tips on the three bathrooms we're remodeling!
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad that things are moving along, sounds like it will be a great place when it’s all done!!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Figures Handy would be an expert on bathrooms. We all know what he is full of......... Bahahahahahahahaha @LaRea glad to hear things are moving along.
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    raybo3 said:
    Figures Handy would be an expert on bathrooms. We all know what he is full of......... Bahahahahahahahaha @LaRea glad to hear things are moving along.
    I'm an expert on football too! How bout those Pats! Bahahahahahahahhahahaha
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Good to hear things are moving along, even if slowly.  Not sure how you could make that house any better than the way it was, but knowing you, I'm sure it will be.  Hoping you get all settled in before boating season starts again in March!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    He said he is going to wiire the house like a Rinker. LOL
  • Options
    Hah - I did say that, didn't I?  I'm putting a network rack in the basement for CAT6 and coax networks, security, whole-house audio, and home automation.  Gonna be pretty sweet.  I think I ran almost 4000 feet of new low-voltage cables.  
  • Options
    Got radar too? LOL
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Hah - I did say that, didn't I?  I'm putting a network rack in the basement for CAT6 and coax networks, security, whole-house audio, and home automation.  Gonna be pretty sweet.  I think I ran almost 4000 feet of new low-voltage cables.  
    Awesome. Don’t forget to pull siamese cable for security cameras. Never hurts to have it in place. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    Awesome. Don’t forget to pull siamese cable for security cameras. Never hurts to have it in place. 
    With IP cameras and PoE who needs anything more than a cat5e/6?

@LaRea - State Farm - my neighbor is an assessor and hey sent him to California after the fires for 6 weeks. He was printing checks for 90% no questions asked to get people funded until the assessment backlog could be done to do a final roll up and payout. Seems they do well in supporting their customers.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Yeah, I'm doing PoE cameras over CAT5.  Each camera has a home run to the rack.  So easy to do when the walls are all open!

Also pulling cable for a video doorbell ... open to suggestions on the doorbell.  
  • Options
    Is crime that bad there???
  • Options
    edited December 2019
    I mean are you rebuilding a house that mimics the movie Omega Man??
  • Options
    We get a lot of no-goods like this one hanging around the house.  (At 12 seconds into the video, he sees the Admiral coming around the corner.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PBGyrSgqerw
  • Options
    That deer was funny. Looked like Tom Brady running! @Raybo3. Maybe install some automatic guns. LOL
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    @Handymans342 you mean the Tom Brady with 6 rings????
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tom Brady has the spice
  • Options
    Ok back to topic
  • Options
    Goodbye water in my home ... as of today, I have a roof.  Next up is wiring, then inspectors, then insulation and drywall and trim.  Starting to get real.  
  • Options
    Good to hear that!
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very glad to hear. Hope thing progress forward for you.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Wow I see the original post was July 11 last year......."...you have a lot of patience 
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's very long and stressful, maybe they can rap it up soon.  
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    Remember when I posted this thread after our house fire eight months ago?  Today, finally, we get to start moving back into our home. 

In addition to the insurance repairs, the Admiral and I invested heavily in upgrades, doing almost all of that work ourselves.  We both work full-time, so we worked on the house every weekend -- usually 10 hours a day Saturday and Sunday.  We only took four days off: Thanksgiving, Christmas, a wedding and a funeral.  Haven't seen much of our friends and family since last summer.  

Three bathroom renovations.  Five thousand pounds of marble and porcelain tile.  Over a kilometer of cable for TV, network and audio.  And two custom closets that, although they are not huge, are probably worthy of a magazine photo shoot. 

I'm guessing we put at least 800 hours into the demo and construction.  We probably put another 600 hours in design ... not just the upgrades, but the entire house.  

Now we move into the final phase of unpacking, decorating and finishing my extensive punch list.  What a coincidence:  the Admiral is off work for a few weeks because of COVID-19 closures.  
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to hear your back in the house. Must’ve been a long 8 months!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @LaRea, happy to hear that you are back in. I am sure those upgrades will be well worth it.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news for you, great timing for the wife to get re-organized. 
    Boat Name :