Options

2007 Rinker 270 V hot water tank

We found out that we need to replace our hot water tank and have been researching what to get.  I came a crossed a tankless water heater that says it is for boats.  What is everyone's thoughts and has anyone used a tankless in their boat.  I have it at home and its great and would really love it. 

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What brand is the tankless heater? I am curious to see how that would work. The advantage to the 6 gallon tank is that it heats water while underway via the engine. That helps when you are out and not connected to shore power. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    mskariannemskarianne Member Posts: 29
    edited August 2019
    Here is the hot water tank that I need to replace anyone know a good place to purchase? Atwood 6.0 Gallon 22.7 LTR 120 V 1400 Watts

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    A friend of mine did a tankless water heater. But the silly thing needed a huge amount of electricity.  He basically has to shut everything off except the heater to use it.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks don't want that it kind of defeats the purpose.  Guess I will need to start researching where to purchase a new one
  • Options
    There are only so many kinds.  Odds are it's a 6 gallon with a core for heating from the engine as well as the electric element.

Curious, is the tank leaking or just not heating?  Reason I ask is that it's not uncommon to have to replace the heating element in them.

• Options
    Defender Marine has the 6 gallon tanks. 
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Stodge It's not heating we are my brother in law look at it and he is a mechanic he said we could try the heating element but he suggested to just get the new one and be done with it.  Not like he is making any money off us to tell us to put the new one in lol

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The t-stat eco switch is 13bucks on Amazon 
    The element is 38 bucks on Amazon 
    If its not leaking water those two parts are the only thing making it work.
    A volt meter set to continuity will tell you what is blown.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    The A/C plug connector could be bad also. I took mine out and just sliced the wires together. I agree if the tank is not leaking then the best thing to do is fix it. I would start with the A/C plug first. BTW just thought of this. At the top right hand corner (at least on mine its the top right corner) there is a small overload. It has two wires going to it. There is a very small button in the middle, try resetting that. Just push the little button "in".
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    Does it heat when the engine has been running for a while? The water should be 150* or more because it uses the engine to heat the water.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    @mskarianne Replacing en element or fixing a bad connection is a lot cheaper and easier than swapping out the water heater.  

• Options
    Cableguy Greg no it doesn't heat when the engine is running.
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There should  be hose from the engine to the hot water tank in less the tank been changed already. 2007 I would think the tank is original. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Cableguy Greg no it doesn't heat when the engine is running.
    Has it been bypassed for winterization? If it's original, there is a heat exchanger that should use the engine water to heat the water in the hot water tank.
    Go Steelers!!!