Replacing Distributor Caps Frequently on 2009 350 mag

juniorjunior Member Posts: 3

I have replaced the distributor cap and rotor 3 times in the last 13 months.

The boat will be running fine then sputter and die and will not restart.  Was hooked up to computer with no coeds showing.  Mechanic replaced cap and started right up.  Runs fine for a month or 2 then same thing happens. 

Any ideas of what else may be causing this?  Is it the whole distributor that needs replacing or something else

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    If the cap is not Quick Silver brand maybe it's not sealing on the distributor well?  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    what boat do you have?  I know some of the 342s had issues with water running down thru a vent into that area and getting them wet.  I agree with Stodge, maybe it's not sealing correctly or it's an off brand.  Do the bad ones look ok inside?

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• juniorjunior Member Posts: 3

the boat is a 20009 rinker 248 DB, there is no water that will get in there.

The bad ones will still test ok once I take it off and use a hand held gauge to test them

They are definitely Mercruiser/Quicksiler from authorized dealer

If you look at the rotors it looks like when firing it is only catching the front part of it due to being discolored

• juniorjunior Member Posts: 3

had someone tell me that it could be the cam sensor wires breaking down inside the distributor

.  Any thoughts?