Options

Water under head holding tank. 2005 250

habit68habit68 Member Posts: 111 ✭✭
Hey gang, I keep noticing my bilge going off more than it should. I look in engine compartment and see water on Starboard side under head holding tank on my 2005 250 Fiesta Vee. It’s not black water, it looks clean and no smell. I don’t have an Air conditioner, it has to be lake water as my house water is still antifreeze from winterization and I would be able to tell from colour. I’m hoping some of the great minds on this forum could help me out with ideas, thanks!

Comments

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Did you check all your through hull fittings maybe get a shop vac and get it as dry as you can then see if you can tell where it is coming f
  • Options
    Thanks GMSLITHO, I’m heading down to boat today to see what I can find. Some suggested shop vac then some baby powder to try and locate water. I’m just having trouble figuring it out when water in is under and around the holding tank.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,797 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rain water possibly? I don’t see how lake water would be under the tank considering how high in the bilge the tanks mounted.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Inspect your transom also. Make sure your bellows or Steering pin isn’t leaking.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Thanks aero, it looks like water sits on the step where tank is then will leak down into bilge....I will take pics later today.
  • Options
    It’s in a covered slip, except the first 4 feet of bow is exposed to rain 
  • Options
    It’s the circled area where I see water
  • Options
    I had my swim platform and U bolts loosen up slightly allowing water in. I sealed them up 2 seasons ago and no more water. 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    I also had to reseal my trim tab lines that went through the transom.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Never leave home without some 4200 or life calk.  I only use 5200 if it's a part i am 100% sure it will not be removed from now until the 2nd coming.

I know 5200 can be applied under water, it's moisturizer activated but im not sure about 4200
  • Options
    It definitely looks like it’s coming from underneath the holding tank.....the only thing I can think of is the the fresh water (lake water) hose for toilet run behind holding tank, could it have worn out maybe???
  • Options
    It’s not a lot but a really slow leak
  • Options
    edited August 2019
    Hoses get get brittle, dry out, crack and break. So do plastic thru hulls.    Clean and check.  Slow leaks can turn into down pours.  The little Dutch boys finger in a **** literally saved lives that day.

Fresh water systems in Greenville sc sells brass thru hull fittings. They specialize in hot tub and drinking water purification systems plus the like  so they sell marine grade stuff without marine grade prices.  I hate fittings below the water line.  Any boat i buy gets new ones.  Plastic thru hulls (pvc or polymers for you engineers) have no place aboard a boat imho.   

My shop bought out a hardware store a few years ago so my boat is full of quality pre china hoses from heater core to pex to dish washer hose. You know, the stuff that apparently causes cancer and kills baby unicorn dolphin seals but lasts forever.
    Post edited by PickleRick on
  • Options
    It’s a brass thru Hull....the hose itself  is what I’m think is the issue 
  • Options
    Ok awesome!   Shouldn't be hard to check the hose.  Once wiped dry it should be easy to feel if it's weeping.  Just be careful as if it's brittle movement could make the leak much bigger.  My sailboat has sea cocks at all thru hill fittings so I can replace hoses without pulling out. These were added and not factory.  In a pinch a huge glob of plumbers putty will work but id still exercise caution and have the new hoses ready to reattach in seconds if in water or at least a plumbing cap and hose clamp.   

Even brass thru hulls with sea cocks make me nervous keeping her on the water in south all winter.  I tried that one winter, i sleep better from oct to may with my sailboat in the drive way. Full coverage or not that's my boat and i dont intend on donating her to becoming a fish habitat.

If you have a bore scope which i recommend everyone own check out the hose from above the water line and look for corrosion on the thru hull.  My fresh water sailboats usually have a life span of 20 plus years.  Quality back then was better than today so keep that in mind. I usually replace all thru hulls when doing bottom paint if ive never done them before as fresh water systems is in my city.    Sub 30 bucks for a 3/4 inch brass thru hull is a no brainer but this has been a few years ago.i think 5/8 was sub 20.  
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Our boat stays on a trailer. Could not sleep otherwise. Especially after a bad transom leak. And a shift cable boot I could not keep from pulling off...
  • Options
    So I found issue, hose clamp was loose from hose going to hot water tank from engine (ran the engine with hood up and saw it leaking lake water)......tightened up and all good now!!
    thanks for the help gang!

• Options
    Awesome!! Nothing better than an easy fix!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Exactly, feels like a mini lottery win!!
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭