Options

2005 270FV XDP Drive

DalvDalv Member Posts: 2
Greetings - new member and thanks for letting me join.

I am a long time original owner of a 2005 270 FV which we have enjoyed for 15 years on Lake Champlain in upstate NY.
After becoming new grandparents and the kids moving away, we find our time on the water is limited and decided to move on to new adventures and put our boat up for sale in June 2019.

First buyer was sold, ready to write the check never asking to drop our price....until he googled XDP and immediately walked away. So, without boring you with details - that was the last interest we had in the boat and I tried numerous boat dealers and even car dealers (some of which do take boats on trade) - every one of them want no part of our boat regardless of price!  I was even willing to trade on boat or car just to get rid of it but no go.

The boat has been listed with a broker the whole time, which works out well as I can send them to the website for photos, details etc.  Long story shorter - I can't sell our boat which is in great condition.

I've called VP and got lip service but basically telling me it my problem and they will graciously help with the cost of the parts so I can replace the drive. I just can't accept paying $12-$15K to replace the drive which is performing well and I have maintained with gimbel, bellow, zincs, fluids, etc.  VP claims the cost to me will be "much less than that." although 3 dealers have verbally quoted me that cost.

Looking for some guidance from anybody that may have gone thru this.  All I want to do is sell our boat, not replace a perfectly good drive and spend a pile of money with hopes of selling it next spring.  Suggestions welcome.

I guess I may have to lower the price $15K+ and let a buyer know the risk and cost when/if the drive goes. For info here is the link to my boat and if any interest out there please let me know.  Boat is currently in the water until Labor Day.  

https://www.boatsrfun.com/boats-for-sale/2005-rinker-270-fiesta-vee-willsboro-new-york-7110236/

Thanks in advance for any help from the group. 

Answers

• Options
    PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Correct me if I'm wrong but isnt the transom hole and bolt pattern for your xdp the same as a bravo 3?  

I didn't look at your ad closely but if it came with the trailer and at a 15 k drop in price it would be a steal of a deal. So much so that id rush the sale of my 235 so i could swing the purchase.

A sub 15k price range attracts people who turn their own wrenches.  Sub 10k and you'll be answering calls day and night.  

If you dont mind cutting and drilling an older volvo 280 or 290 aq series (can be sp or dp) can be had for a song. No yearly alignments to worry about, no alignment bars.  Grease the gimball bearing from the engine compartment as well as check alignment.  You can get them used with controls for less than 3000 with a motor attached. These seem to be more reliable than any outdrives build since asside from konrad or other high dollar outdrives not found in most production boats.   Sadly since the 90s volvo lowered their quality in my opinion to compete with mercurys price point.  

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you are a fresh water boater, have you looked into the regular VP duo prop drive that is aluminum rather than the composite OceanX drive? I believe that route is much cheaper. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    This is what I would do. Go to a VP authorized repair shop and get the total price on a drive swap to a new drive. The DPS upgrade program is available until 12/31/19.

http://www.marinepartsexpress.com/xdpupgrade.html

Discount the boat price to reflect that cost of this work. If the buyer is smart he/she will realize that the upgraded boat with a 2-year drive warranty is a good buy. DPS drives are in private and commercial use worldwide, are good for thousand of hours if maintained correctly. I had the Ocean X since 2015 and I love it.
    Andy

• Options
    DalvDalv Member Posts: 2
    Thanks guys for the comments - PickleRick I sent you a pm.  I will take most of the cost of the swap off the price, just don't have the heart to change out a perfectly good outdrive just to sell.  To the right guy, this is a deal.  Ready to go to the right home!
  • Options
    FYI, CableGuy Greg, the OceanX isn't composite, it is titanium-ceramic coated metal. https://www.volvopenta.us/marineleisure/en-us/news/2018/oct/oceanx-high-tech-corrosion.html
    Andy.
  • Options
    Bottom paint doesn't stick well to the coating, I know from experience. Marine growth has to be scrubbed off every couple of weeks this time of year, when boat hulls get that Chia Pet look.
    Andy.