Some yanmar (bmw diesel) info some might like to know

PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
So the late 90s early 00s yanmar BMW 6BY motor is simply a detuned 530 or 330 D car engine.

So if you find yourself dealing with yanmar or other less than steller dealer support system you're in luck.

These motors are starting to show up in the 4x4 and sled pulling world due their power and light weight(about 400hp with tune and bolt ons)  so hacked operating systems are at your finger tips.  

This means aftermarket dumbed down access to tuning, data logging, data view, cels etc.  

A gentleman who shares my affinity for putting diesel engines into places that gas motors once lived is currently working on adapters to make these bmw motors look like the back of a small block chevy meaning they will fit inboard/outboard or full inboard applications 

He is currently considering one in a wakeboard ski boat which will replace a current 5.7 motor.  

Some of you hate diesels, some of you love them.  So i figured someone might find this interesting as it would be possible to need a new chevy inboard and drop this bmw in place with some wiring mods and off the shelf marine parts as this is a 100% marinized auto motor which is also found in a land Rover. 

This is a motor found in the us automarket.

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not too many boat owners go from gas to diesel. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Not too many boat owners go from gas to diesel. 
    In Europe its way more popular than in the us.  It is catching on as diesel conversions are becoming more popular, documented and easier/cheaper.  

The cost for a diesel motor compared to gas is just too far apart to switch or order new. Thats why I always get used boats
    edited August 2019
    New marine diesels are stupid priced as are outboard motors.

The diy auto/industrial maranizing is where it's at.

Less than 5k for a 97 mercedes diesel 300

A couple hundred in preventative maintenance

1500 for custom wiring harness and ecu tune/immobilizer delete

Another 1200 for engine adapter to make it fit to any small block chevy application.

Make back a couple hundred parting the car.

Your biggest expenses are the marine manifold and turbo.   

This price is keeping the easily tunable electronic injection pump.

Its about twice as much to modify and install a mechanical om603 injection pump unless you can calibrate/machine it yourself.

Special note: cummins 6bt turbo works very well on the mercedes om606 as a marine motor doesn't mind a bit of lag.  

These newer diesel motors rev more like a bbc than the older longer stroke diesels that didn't like to rev over 2000 rpms.

I still wouldnt want to cruise over @ 3500 rpms for long periods of time.  Right now on my sp alpha 1 set up im 4500 rpms cruising comfortably on plane @ 25 mph

I think that i could play with prop size and add a duo prop v8 outdrive and get that mid 20s cruising speeds real close to 3500 by playing with prop sizes.  

The outdrives i prefer are the old volvo penta 280 and 290.  They can be had in sp/dp as well as gas and diesel gearing.  Bullet proof as well.

I really need a good prop calculation chart to be sure of thse numbers.

I dont mind sacrificing some top speed, even 10 mph as it increases my range with economy.    
    I had twin Yanmars in my 342. Great motors great mileage too
    The BMW i mentioned was used my yanmar. I believe its called the m57 motor by BMW and 6by by yanmar.

The gentleman who does all the Malone tuning on my vw diesels speaks highly of the bmw diesel. 
    You could not get any kind of tuning out of the Yans I had. 
    You couldn't get any tuning out of the bmw either until wrench turning tech savvy geeks hacked the code, access the code/ecu.

So now they can disable the immobilizer and other items that used to require special licensing to access as well as full tunning ability.  

So in other words, if you have the bmw m57 yanmar and want to be able to do all your data logging, diagnostics, access your check engine codes you can purchase a modified bwm ecu and harness to do so and spend less than you would for fancy licenced cables/programming to from yanmar, vp, etc.

I don't recommend you take your 260 horse motor to 400 horses, but it's there if you wanted!  

Think of it as making turning as easy as what the cummins and power stroke guys have had since the early 2000s.
    edited August 2019
    You guys probably voted for Hoover 😜

Many of the mercedes and bmw 4 and 6 cyl engines weigh less than that of a cast iron 5.7!

Most diesel owners will agree bed bath and beyond stinks.
    edited August 2019
    Sluggish?  We're not talking about the old Perkins or ford diesels that maxed out at 2200 rpms and the power band was about as narrow as a squirrels attention span. 

Did you watch the video i posted of the om606 powered run about blowing black smoke up and down the shore?  There's another posted on i believe inboats, it's a ski boat om606 powered. Probably 700 plus hp. Inboard.  Located in germany that runs about 60mph full throttle.

These new diesels are not the diesels of old.  Before these motors that I'm talking about were found in boats they were in luxury mercedes and bmw sedans , competing with the M3 series cars on the track. 

There is a huge difference between an 0m617 and om606

Post edited by PickleRick on
    Dont let Al get to you. Everything he has is diesel. He even has a diesel sled!!   
    Diesels dont leak diesel, they leak oil.  

Diesels like their oil.  Just dont ask capt Ron why.
    Alswagg said:
    Lol.   Sluggish, belching, and of coarse leaking diesel.  Ugh.  
    Don't talk about your 7.3 F350!!
    Alswagg said:
    Handy, we only service 1 6tb 1 4tb 4 Volvo’s 1 yanmar, 1 Deere and 2 internationals.   Dam diesels.  Lol seems like every week we have one in the shop 
    Only for an oil change!
    Alswagg said:
    The Cummins seems to wear the belts quick 
    Must be an alignment issue
    edited September 2019
    We have gotten service or update bulletins on misaligned factory belts. Usually the kit is nothing more than longer bolts and washers to space pulleys out more to correct the alignment issue.  Taking meat away for an alignment issue isnt as easy.

My experience with diesel boaters is they feel invincible, ignore service intervals and obvious issues. Maybe it's because they were older motors and older boats with thousands of hours.

I took the family on a half day patch reefing trip with a captain on his own boat in Marathon to observe how/where to fish.  

On the way out the port motor (Perkins I believe) had a terrible bearing squeal sound and his helm was blurping fluid.

First off i recommended a cheaper auto Kmart purchased fluid for his seastar helm as he was using expensive west marine brand.  I also let him know eBay has cheap rebuild kits and so long as there is no scoring its just remove, clean, install new o rings and seals, lube then reinstall.

Then i had him open his hatch and diagnosed he had a water pump bearing going out.  I recommended new or reman pump or if it isnt too bad and he had access to a press just swap the bearing and seal. He lived in his boat so he was on an obvious tight budget. He had lost most of his belongings in Irma and gave up his apartment due to drastic increases in rent after the hurricane.  I even offered if he wanted to remove it, ship it to me and id do it for him, then ship it back in exchange for fishing in the future, I'd cover all the parts plus return shipping and he'd have a good spare if he couldn't wait for shipping times.

He wasn't licensed as a Captain, just a nice guy i met while having a few drinks at a little bar down there.  Im sure commercial boats would require being better kept, I'd hope.  If we didnt have two motors or had destinations further than 2 miles off shore id have made him turn back.