Bad news, cracked head

2»

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dang, how much did that sucker cost to build? When I pulled my motor I thought about trying to do something like that....what I did do was build a cart/stand for the motor. Could not flip it but doing a transom repair was not flipping anything for a rebuild...anyway, cart on wheels ($60 bucks?) then I rented a trailer from U Haul (45 bucks?) and took it all down to the local marina. Had everything disconnected and out drive off. They charge me $150.00 to pull the motor and set it on my cart.....trailer to house and rolled it off and into my garage...$150.00 bucks and the trailer to put back in so like 450 bucks? I might have been able to get close with the lumber but would have no where to put it afterwards....
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i likely spent $300 on the lumber and lags... the winch is a chinese/ebay special- likely $100... I ended up pulling engines for several people... and... i replaced a head on a 4.0 in a jeep.. it was nice to flip the hood up over the cab, unbolt everything (inline engine, head, intake and exhaust and all in one shot) and punch a button... push the jeep out of the way and drop the whole thing on a table and go to work.. new head, new intake and exhaust.. new few other things (wp, timing, radiator, ect) and have it all buttoned up and running in less than three hours.  it was the easiest head gasket repair i've ever done.. this included honing the cylinders and buffing the mating surfaces.  I made the kid (16yo daughter) help as she is the clown who overheated it running a/c wide open with six people in the thing in 100* temperature idling 'to cool off'.... dumbarse... she learned a few things that day. 

you can get a serviceable engine stand from harbor freight for $100 or so... or keep your eyes open on CraigsList or local trading post type site... i'd wager most folks buy them for single use and sell them for whatever they can get for them after they've sat around a few years collecting dust.  it's super nice to be able to flip an engine over and work on the bearings/caps/oil pick up/front and rear seals like a gentleman instead of crawling under them and spending most the time cursing at the world above you. ... you can flip it on it's side and gaskets on exhaust are simple... it's just an entire different experience to work on an engine on a proper stand.

F1100, truth be told, I'm with you.  a few hours of discomfort is worth holding on to the greenbacks... however.. these engines are SO easy to pull... they're so easy, in fact, that i'd spend a day building the gantry if i have to do it again... as it is, i won't have to as i'm outfitting my shop with a beam/trolley gantry.... with the same chinese/ebay special winch doing the lifting.  I'll swap it out for quality once it finally dies. 
    If I ever thought I would have used it again maybe...but, still no place to keep in. I'm in a subdivision and no way to get it into the back yard plus would not want to look at it anyway....but I was tempted...if I had a shop.....
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
     Just to clarify for you guys I am pretty handy I can do simple things like oil changes gear lube and winterizing bur engine work is out of my league. I have to admit I was quite surprised when removing the engine was presented to me.
    It pops out pretty easy...I have done it once..but have pulled car motors to...pretty much the same.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    In my rinker i would remove the engine to pull the heads, i have to. The dizzy will not come out because of lack of clearance.  

I have worked on many boats that you can sit on the side of the hatch and have easy access to entire top end.  

Id love to have an engine test stand.  Wouldn't need to be fancy.  Even the cut off front frame from an old rusty chevy pick up would work if i didn't feel like cobbling one together.  

• davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    @luvinlife .  I am with you.  I have jumped into projects not at all being scared from the labor involved but i do have a sense of when i may be over my head due to lack of technical knowledge.  That is when i have no shame in calling in the experts.  I will never bother a mechanic to remove a water pump or do a tune up.  But when the engine gets pulled i am going to tap out and let the expert handle it.  What i discovered was that when the engine got pulled I was able to clean and paint the engine compartment and clean up the wiring so it was a lot neater.  Divide and conquer.  Much respect to those who have that next level of knowledge.  My strength is that i know my limits....most of the time. :)
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
    Hey, you never know your limit until you exceed it! I've done more with mine than ever thought possible but it does take a LOT of time and a LOT of research. Time I have, money I do not. It is a car engine with marine crap so as long as you can get it out then if nothing else you wear out people in here that have the knowledge or transport the motor. See I don't mind paying $100 bucks an hour for the technical side of it and agree with you. It's the grunt work I can do myself I feel like I'm saving some money and more importantly, learning a LOT about what makes this boat travel down the water way but this is just my nature. Replace a head? Yea, I'd give it a go with help from the guys on the forum...go into the lower unit or crank case- nope. But, I could buy a short or long block and probably come out cheaper than paying a mechanic to repair the old....again, my way of thinking...
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    As always @212rowboat makes compelling fact-based, insightful suggestions. I always bear-in-mind that @212rowboat is so far ahead (knowledge and experience wise of the "normal" mechanically-inclined crowd) that what he considers as a day's work might be a life-altering experience for mere mortals! :-)
    I did call my insurance company and they sent an adjuster to look over the engine and talk with my mechanic.  He took a lot of pictures. My mechanic described it as a "random occurance", possibly a faulty part. He said there was no water in the oil and no cylinder damage.  I'm not counting on it but who knows on getting some insurance help. 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good news no water in the oil, You'll be back in the water soon. 
    Boat Name : 

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great news!
    2008 330EC
    While I'm so glad with the result, why would an insurance company pay for a manufacturer defect?
    Ras I was surprised too but happy.  
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Other than the fact that the head cracked and it's crappy you are going through this, luvinlife, I don't think this situation can get better for you ... unless Michael Jordan shows up holding a beer.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a lottery ticket, and put the boat in, there a lot of good times left in this year. 
    Boat Name : 

• Aqua_AuraAqua_Aura Member Posts: 2,531 ✭✭✭✭
    I think the biggest question we all need the answer for is who is your insurance provider?
    1997 Bayliner 3988
    My insurance company is International Marine Underwriters. 
    edited September 2019
    That is amazing...but I still don't get it (100% glad for you) so a bad head caused a failure and that is covered...hey, this adjuster your brother-in-law?
    So reading back through, the only thing replaced was the head and your post specifically says they won't cover the cost of the faulty part, only the damage caused by the faulty part?
    Ras, the entire job will cost $4400 with all labor and parts.  Remember they removed the engine and ourdrive. I am on the hook for the cost of the head and a $250 deductible. Yes I’m very happy with this! 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Plus you’ll be able to clean everything up and replace anything on the motor that’s needs it while it’s out