bravo three noise in gear

goalie59goalie59 ✭✭Posts: 66Member ✭✭
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this noise. 2005 320 with Bravo 3. 560 hours . Port drive has a slight growl/whirr when put in forward or reverse. noise is very light put is gone when in neutral. Drive oil has always been changed annually with Merc high performance lube. The boat is coming out next week so I was going to change and inspect oil maybe run on muffs and listen to the case with a stethoscope. any thoughts ? Thanks

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg ✭✭✭✭✭ Pittsburgh, PAPosts: 3,970Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gimbal bearing? That would be my first guess.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • goalie59goalie59 ✭✭ Posts: 66Member ✭✭
    Thanks Greg. I was under the assumption that in neutral the shaft is spinning the gimbal? Are you thinking that the load of being put in gear is making the noise. I have heard gimbal noises before and you usually hear them as soon as the engine is started
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO ✭✭✭ Greenwood Lake NY Posts: 789Member ✭✭✭
    Does the pitch change when you raise and lower the drive

• rasburyrasbury ✭✭✭✭✭ Sanford, FLPosts: 5,450Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    560 hours...clutch? Rebuild time?
    I will check that next time I have it out. I will take a close look at the oil when I drain it. Ras I would be surprised that it needs an overhaul at such low hours but I did not have the boat for the first four years so can not speak to how it's previous owner took care of it 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 ✭✭✭✭ Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 2,143Member ✭✭✭✭
    Definently pull the drive when you come out. A small amount of water in bellows could make u-joint growl. Gimbal could make noise only when pressure is applied. Clutch cone could be worn but i think this make a delay in shifting. With the drive off the 1st two can be checked.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond ✭✭✭✭✭ Holland, MichiganPosts: 4,659Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the coupler too. 

2003 342FV "Black Diamond", 350 MAG MPI, 20P 4x4 Props, PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Good point @Black_Diamond a misaligned engine will make a good gimbal make noise.
  • rmfridayrmfriday ✭✭ Posts: 44Member ✭✭
    If you only hear the noise when it is in gear the issue is most likely in the lower portion of the drive. The U-joints, upper gears, coupler, gimbel are all spinning regardless weather or not you are in gear.
    rmfriday said:
    If you only hear the noise when it is in gear the issue is most likely in the lower portion of the drive. The U-joints, upper gears, coupler, gimbel are all spinning regardless weather or not you are in gear.
    A free spinning U-joint,gears or gimbal could be quite but when add pressure from the torque of the props is when the noise arises. Example is when making a hard turn left or right brings on bearing noise.
    Thanks for all the input. The noise is the same weather you are turning or trimming. It is a very light noise almost sounds like something is just starting to wear. I will inspect the oil maybe run it on muffs and listen to the case with a stethoscope 
  • AlswaggAlswagg ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,514Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Squeal? If so I suspect a loose pinion gear bolt.    Have the upper inspected ASAP 
  • J3ffJ3ff ✭✭✭✭ Posts: 1,885Member ✭✭✭✭
    Mine is up in the air right now to get checked out... 
    Small amount of milk in both port and starboard oil. This is the first year that I have noticed this. Drives will. Be pulled and inspected next week. I guess it is my turn to spend some money 
    same symptom here, just waiting for mechanic to take a look. it's been months of trying to get it figured out. 
  • AlswaggAlswagg ✭✭✭✭✭ Posts: 2,514Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Note, there are several different Gimble bearings.  They all look very very similar. Very easy to get them confused and the wrong bearing can get installed. Bravo and Alpha with permalube u joints take a beating that’s .125 thinner than the standard bearing.  If a thick bearing is installed, it will prematurely wear out the U joints as they will bind up due to limited clearance.  They can and will make some weird noises 
    Thanks Al. I will pass those words on. With the condition of the oil I am wondering if it took out a bearing as the noise just showed up recently and this is the first year the oil has been contaminated 
    My oil now drains out asap when it comes out of the water.. hoping to make some progress with the mechanics tomorrow. 
    Mechanic says needs to be rebuilt completely, including new bellows..