Options

Broke top off blue drain plug on water pump

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
Yep, I did it, couldn’t back out by hand so I used pliers and it broke off. Bummer is that it’s the lower drain hole on the port water pump. I assume I can just drill it out, but what is the easiest way? 3” away from the hole is the stringer so no direct way in. Praying I can do this without removing the entire pump.... suggestions? 
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Comments

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your best bet is pulling the pump. 

You can notch it and use a flat bladed screwdriver to unscrew it. 

When you re-install wipe the o-ring with plumbers silicone grease. That is what usually sticks. Can wipe the threads with it too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I agree, pulling may be the only way and on a bench and being able to see. I wasn't going to change impellers without taking off and seeing things - as well as the comfort level.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Yes, definitely pulling pump is the best.  I had this happen many years ago on my 310, but it was on the thermostat.  Drilling it out carefully was the best option.  You could also change the impeller while you're there and would also insure that you can clean any debris out.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Thanks gang, I’ll get back out there in the next few weeks and hope to be able to notch and screw it out. Reading some things out there it sounds like the threads are usually not very tight so worth a try, but will bring tools to remove pump and drill. So mad at myself for doing this. Luckily I’ve got spare plugs and a spare impeller to put back in if I do need to pull pump. 

• Options
    If I recall aren’t these hollow? Do you have one of those right angled screw drivers? Maybe could you tap a small slot (or philips) screwdriver in what is left and perhaps get enough grip to screw out the remnants of the plug.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    A Dremel tool with an abrasive cut off wheel would get you in there so you could cut a slot in the plug, then use an off set flat screw driver or a flat driver bit in a ratchet handle. Good luck.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can drill a hole, an extractor set will get it out.

Irwin Tools Hanson 53227 Hex Head Multi-Spline Screw Extractor Set, 25 Piece
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002SRG66/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_5bMPDbAX4JAWX
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    @icoultha funny you say that I was just looking at those small right angle screwdrivers at Lowe’s for $3 and there is a small screwdriver Wratchet set at harbor freight for $3. May pick up both!

unfortunately no room for dremmel or drill without removing the pump 

• Options
    No room even if you use a 90 degree Drill?
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    My 90 degree drill needs 5ish inches, this is like 3 inches 

• Options
    I think your only option before pulling pump is the right angle screwdriver tapped in to see if you can get it out.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Or just remove the lower hose going to the pump
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    I don't know, lots of tight spaces there.  In less than 15 minutes that pump can be out and on a work bench.  Lots easier to get it done then.  It's a total of 3 bolts and two hoses on mine.  

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Agree Dream that removing the pump is not the end of the world. I've done each engine once and it wasnt so bad but I left the hoses attached, maybe its just my setup but getting in there to loosen up the hose clamps on the hoses was not the best angle nor was pulling the hoses off, so I left them on, this was for an impeller change so no issue leaving hoses on. To remove the pump I've got to remove belt, remove idler, loosen fuel pump, move alternator, and then remove the pump....

• Options
    With the engine on a rig or with lots of space to work  :) With mine room is very restrictive plus the hoses are not easy to get to laying on top of the engine and hanging down.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have way less than there inches can't even fit my fingers in there. When you remove the pump loosing the hoses after it comes of the stud where the idler sits. Just a tought.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    For your replacement look at the plugs from Hardin Marine. They are Stainless and wont break off. Well worth the money and never have to worry about breaking them off again

https://www.hardin-marine.com/p-81079-stainless-steel-lifetime-series-sea-pump-drain-plugs-mercruiser-22-806608a02-8m2000874.aspx
  • Options
    Thanks, I have a couple extra blue plugs so I’m good for now 

• Options
    @Liberty44140 , if it makes you feel any better, I just broke one off of my starboard side cool fuel module 🙄. Luckily it’s right in the front and hopefully it doesn’t give me too much trouble to get out!
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Hey Aero sorry to hear that. Looking forward to hearing how easy it is for you to back out by hand with a screw driver rather than having to drill it....

• Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Heat the end of a small screw driver using a propane torch. Then carefully push it against the center of the plug till it goes in enough to make a good indentation.  Let it cool or assist with water.  When cool you can unscrew it.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    I was able to get the broken stud out today but it wasn’t as easy as I was hoping. I ended up having to chisel it out.
    2008 330EC