Painting Radar Arch

SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
Just wondering if anyone has sanded and painted their radar arch. I have a 2005 320 and my arch is cracking and chipping paint off. This started before I owned the boat-it was 2 years old when I bought it. I took all the screws out and placed silicone on them before re-installing but the damage has already started. I see this is not just a Rinker issue but other manufacturers have the same problem with their aluminum arches. Please let me know how you primed and what paint you used. I am trying to not have this professionally done because of the cost.

Comments

• aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2013
    If you can remove it and get it sand blasted that would be your best bet. Sand blasting will remove all of the paint and corrosion if any. You will want to prime with an aluminum primer and use a paint that is compatible with the primer. If you have a local powder coating shop they can blast it and powder coat it, if you go that route you will never have to worry about it again.

What part of Long Island are you from? I use a powder coating shop in Farmingdale often and there are others on the Island also. You will be surprised at how reasonable their pricing can be.

2008 330EC
  • SerenitySerenity Member Posts: 162 ✭✭✭
    Thank you aero. That was what I researched as well. I am in Patchogue at Sunset Harbor.
  • WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    I have the same boat, and the same issue. It's not to bad, but I may do it over the winter.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
    Plastidip isn't the most durable stuff. One of my coworkers has his car painted with it, when he gets tired of the color he peels it off and re-sprays it.
    2008 330EC
  • KYSEANKYSEAN Member Posts: 121 ✭✭
    Powder coating would be the way to go but is pricey compared to the dip. I don't think the dip would take much abuse on a radar arch.
    2012 Rinker BR216 5.0
    With plastidip you still have to clean corrosion off and feather the paint then prime. If you do all the prep you might as well paint with a durable paint.
    2008 330EC
    Here is a video on plastidip, its really cool stuff. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jayyTUy3GTw
    2008 330EC
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I was told to wash, dry and wax my radar arch before the boat hit the water. I put a real good coat of Meguiar's flagship carnuba wax on it with partciular attention to areas around and screws. Of course boating in a fresh water environment really helps. I have had a lot of experience with powdercoating - the advice you have been given by A-3113 is top notch. 6 months after the powdercoating wash your arch with cold water. Towel dry it. Let it sit for a coiple of hours in the SHADE then wax it with a carnuba based wax and towel buff it. Keep motorized buffers away from it. MT
  • ItzkenItzken Member Posts: 34 ✭✭
    If the paint cracks come from arch flexing, which seems to be the case on my 2006 as cracks are showing on each side of the upper bend to the rear, will powder coat flex with the aluminum?  Once powder coat is cracked or breached, its a nightmare to remove, feather, and repair. Now what?

• MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I had to repair my arch once. Use a pro. He was like, this is a pain ... because it's an aluminum base you need to strip down, use a proper primer before it oxidizes, then paint and then fill (I think with epoxy???).  Anyhow, it got fixed right and I didn't have a problem after that ... and I've heard others try fixing and the cracks come back. Leads me to believe there is a right way and wrong way to do this.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"