Gas Gauge Issue

watermarkwatermark Member Posts: 16
Just picked up my new 2013 Rinker Captiva 196 and filled her with gas and took her to the lake. When I was on the water I noticed the gas gauge was at empty even through I just filled it up. I contacted the dealer and they said it is a air bubble in the gas tank and should clear itself after running the boat for an hour. I would hate to get stuck in the middle of the lake if there is another issue. Is this true or anyone else have this issue?
Thanks for your help!

Comments

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭
    Air bubble in a gas tank it is a first for me. I doubt that very much.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2014
    Welcome to the forum! An air bubble sounds like an excuse for you not to come in to have it repaired. Either you have a bad ground or a bad sending unit.
    2008 330EC
  • watermarkwatermark Member Posts: 16
    Thank you for your input. That is what I figured. I will call the delaership in the morning and hopefully they will fix the issue - I need the fuel gauge and since it is a new boat it should work. Thanks again!
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you can locate the sending unit,check and see if the wires are connected. Also check behind the gauge, it can save you a trip to the dealer.
    2008 330EC
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Air bubble, really? I would say bad sending unit.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah that air bubble is what your float seeks... It's at the top of the fuel level.. I'd call the dang marinas owner and have a talk with him about transferring warranty work... Crap like this drives me nuts..
    Thanks for your comments. Took it back to the marina. There was no float in the gas tank. So they fixed this but the gauge is still sticking. Going to order me a new gauge as well. Sucks - brand new boat and to have to deal with this crap.
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭

Usually, the float and sender are one... So.. if they fixed a missing float, they should have put in a new sender... Man, where is this place?  They are screwing you.  Name names... Maybe Randy himself will take interest.. 

• frenchshipfrenchship Member Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭

I do agreed with Drew it looks like you are getting the run around, if I was you I would send Randy Rinker a e-mail he his really good at taking care of Rinker owner's.

Paul

• JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭

I agree it sounds a little strange, how the **** could/would they miss installing the float? I'd hope checking to make sure all the gauges were working was part of a pre-delivery inspecttion at the factory or at least dealership.

My guage isnt very reliable after it gets down to 1/4 tank left. I'll be buying some sort of fuel flow monitor for peace of mind. You should at least expect the notoriously flawed OEM system to work, but for true peace of mind you'll have to invest in a monitor that tracks actual fuel used.

My only question is if its a 196 I assume you trailer it? If so dont you pretty much fill up before each time out? Is it possible to burn through a whole tank of gas in a day?

2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭

Hard to believe they forgot the float as the ones I've seen they are part of sending unit as stated by everyone else. Hope it didn't break off and is floating around. Defintely get ahold of randy rinker you are getting the shaft from whom ever you are dealing with. 

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

It's my bet that the sender and float are pre installed by the supplier and the only install done by the factory is right after layup when the guy drops the tank assy down in the hull. The trim crew or engine dept simply connects the wiring harness to the tank sender. That float could have broken anywhere along the supply chain and is probably in the tank somewhere (although that's not totally unacceptable).

Your gauge issue and other punch list items are a normal process with ANY new boat. The abnormal problem only begins if the dealer is even slightly put out to help with any requests. This isn't brand specific.

Sounds like he resolved your sender problem but I'd ask for a replacement gauge if it's not simply a loose wire. He should comply with a smile and a thank you for your business and patience. If not, call Rinker.

You have a great boat, it's just a brand new baby with hundreds of complex systems that all need to interact seamlessly and get acquainted to work out a few details. Have a great season. Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I can't picture there not being a float. I agree with what the others are saying. Email Randy Rinker. He is an asset to Rinker and will work hard to get any issues solved in a timely manor.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Wow thanks for the feedback - this site is great and I appreciate everyone who has taken the time to try and help.

I'm dealing with Springmount Marina in Owen Sound Ontario (which was recently bought out by Georgian Shores Marina). I'm still waiting on the new gauge the marina promised.

When the marina installed the new float in the tank the mechanic did use a light to see if there was the original still floating in the tank but said he did not see any.

I have only put 5 hours on the boat so far and the gas needle is now showing roughly 3/4 tank left. But it still seems to stick so I do still want a new gauge.

I'll let you know what happens - if nothing is resolved I may need Randy Rinkers email.

Thanks again for everyone's feedback - much appreciated!!

• BabyboomerBabyboomer Member Posts: 918 mod
    edited July 2014

Air Bubble LOL I think I got one of those caught in the head  :D

Slip 866 Sunset Marina Byrdstown Tn
    Finally got my new gas gauge and everything seems to be working fine. Thanks for your help!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Hey Watermark - There are always a few "teething problems" with a new boat. Highly complex systems that get pounded through wakes etc. I have owned  many Rinkers for 25 years, quite a number of them new.  Yes, there have been a few problems, but Rinker and particularly Randy Rinker have stood behind EVERY one of them. I now own a 2014 Rinker EC 360. It is a great boat. Did it have a few bugs? Yes. Has Rinker and the dealer stood behind it? Yes. I have great respect for Rinker Boats. I have friends with boats, for example  360 Sea Rays, 360 Dorals, 370 Formulas etc. that have EXACTLY the same problems, but aren't always as happy about their after market service. IMO You handled it VERY well - remain calm, ask questions from friends or this forum and be respectful but FIRM with the dealer. As you educate yourself and discuss matters with the guys on this forum you will become a better and better advocate for yourself. I have been boating for over 50 years and I learn something new every day - IMO THAT'S what makes it so much fun. I had a 1994 190 that we eventually put a 390HP 383 in and a 2006 192 Captiva with a 4.3LX in. Both where great boats, you'll have a blast with your 196 - a great hull and fantastic entry choice from Rinker. Welcome to the forum. (from Canada) Michael T.

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2014

Glad you got your fuel gauge fixed w/o any fuss. Did you say a mech put a light in the gas tank? That seems like it has catastrophic life changing potential for the clueless regarding the tiniest sparks and explosive fumes. Maybe he used a glow stick :D

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl
  • midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭
    edited August 2014

Air bubble? Did they try to sell you new water cooled muffler bearings or a bucket of prop wash? LOL 

Congrats on the 196 and as my forum colleagues stated above, be firm with the dealer and contact Randy Rinker if repairs are not being done to your satisfaction. I emailed Randy when I first purchased my 2000 180 Bowrider with a few questions, and he responded within 24 hours! 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

• rinker312rinker312 Member Posts: 255 ✭✭

AIR BUBBLE!  LOL!  Might want to consider finding another dealer for any future work.  AAAHH Still laughing!

2004 Rinker 312, 5.0 Merc's, Bravo III, Lake Wheeler, AL

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Here is a story which is true.  When I was a young and dumb teenager or maybe a year or two older than that, I was working in a truck garage.  I was working on this big tractor with saddle tanks, filling one of them with gas.  Cigarette dangling from my lips.  A live ember fell off the stupid thing right into the open gas pipe.  It landed in the gas and went out.  I instantly realized that was pretty stupid but I also realized that what saved me was the fact that there was no oxygen in the top of the tank.

How lucky was that!
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

100% Tony. It's not the "liguid" gas that blows, it's when the air/fuel ratio hits 20:1 - BOOM!  Happy ending Tony or there'd be no Salt Shaker! :-) MT
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭

Tony, do you still smoke when you gas up? LOL. I would have crapped my pants.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TonyWalkerTonyWalker Member Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Reply to the question:  No

Comment on the comment:  I think I did.  Anyway it is now a moot point.  One of my best decisions ever was the one to kick the habit in my early 20's.