When to use blower and bilge.

tappertapper Member Posts: 3

I am new to inboard/outboard boats and have just bought a used Captiva 206.  Do I need to run the blower all the time that the motor is running?  When do I use the bilge pump?  Also, the indicator needle fell off of the stem in the trim gauge.  Can I open that gauge and fix it or does it have to be replaced?  If replaced, where do I get one that will fit?

Comments

• craigswardmtbcraigswardmtb Member Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭

They say you should run it under idle and no wake speeds.  Also before and after fueling but not during.  If you have a genny run it during use.
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2014

If my engine is running, my blower is running. Easier that way. 

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• BoatAwayBoatAway Member Posts: 179 ✭✭✭

10 minutes is the longest I've ever heard for blower. 3-4 is more common. Can't stand the sound of it when no-wake. I usually do run it if just idling.

Manually turn on the bilge pump if you don't like how much water is in there. Otherwise it should take care of itself.

Fixing the needle is worth a shot, but you'll likely have to replace.

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭

The "sniff test" is important too.  When you turn on the blower, walk over and stick your face in the blower exhaust.  Once you learn the "normal" odor for your engine room, any changes in that odor can warn you of impending badness (fuel, coolant, oil or anything out of the ordinary). 

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭

I have noticed now that I have a cruiser, I run the blower all of the time. I don't mind because I can't hear it until I drop anchor or tie up and shut the engine off. When I had a cuddy cabin, I always shut it off when I left the dock because is was much louder.

2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!

Boat away, I agree most I know only run it for about 3 or 4 minutes before starting the engine. But once the engine is on, I just keep the blower running.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• TikiHut2TikiHut2 Member Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭✭✭

I turn it on and do a sniff test EVERY TIME before we hit the key for the engine or genset and usually leave it on until I shut down whether its ten mins or two hrs.

Mine has never been loud enough to be a bother and the fresh air circulating in there certainly can't hurt.

Mike

2004 FV270, 300hp 5.7 350mag MPI Merc 305hrs, 2:20 Bravo3 OD w.22p props, 12v Lenco tabs, Kohler 5kw genset, A/C, etc.etc...
    Regular weekender, Trailer stored indoors, M/V TikiHut, Sarasota, Fl

I just installed two new in line blowers.  Talk about a piece of cake job for once.  I went with the Shurflo 4" Yellowtail blowers.  Its whisper quiet and one of the few inline blowers rated for continuous duty cycling.  Its about an 1/6 the price of those nice Jabsco sealed units.  So I won't be worried about running my blowers all the time now.

Craig, are those blowers spark proof? I could be wrong, but the jabsco units are. The point is, you need an electrical motor that meets classification (probably Div 1 explosion proof device), otherwise the blower itself can start ignition of fumes.

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    Mark, the yellow tail are spark proof. I'd definitely recommend replacing your blower if they are loud or annoying. I have all new ones on my boat and I honestly forget, about half the time, they are on for my entire trip until I drop anchor and shut off. Mine used to be louder than my generator, which was annoying. Not anymore!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• midwestemidweste Member Posts: 135 ✭✭

I can't really hear my blower when its on, so I just leave it on 5 minutes before, while underway, then 5 minutes after. I have a bilge pump switch but never use it since I have an automatic float activation switch connected to the bilge pump. +1 TikiHut on doing the sniff test!! 

2000 180 Bowrider, 135hp 3.0L Merc, 2.00 Alpha One Gen 2 OD, 14.5 x 19P prop

Regular weekender, trailer stored indoors, Southern Ohio  

As Dream said yes I believe this is the only low cost inline blower that is spark proof.  The boat came with Atwoods which are not.  On an aside I do the sniff test as well.  Last week I stuck my head over the blower right after I turned it on and literally almost inhaled a giant wasp.  Buggers built a nest in the blower tube in a week.
    edited July 2014

great tip guys. i hayyyyyyyte unnecessary noise. 

YellowTAIL blower coming my way! 

BTW BoatAway, how'd things go with your new purchase?  Everything going ok? Keeping the new ride on the Potomac?  Too bad you can't hook up with RinkerYan and tail it up to the Rendezvous next weekend!!

We are loving our 2003 Chaparral 260 Signature (from Patuxent River). What a great boat all around (small, I know). Not as fast as the 232 I had but 'feels' better to me. We're still on the Potomac. TikiHut was just here but I missed him. Owe you one, Mike!

I don't even have a trailer now, so unless RinkerYan wants to tow me, that's just to much gasoline for me to burn up (320 miles + round trip, I'm guessing).

BoatAway, that's great to hear all is going well!  If it makes you feel better, I'm sure I'll burn more fuel getting there than you would!  :)  Maybe some time we can meet you part way, like Solomon's area?  It sounds like you are a good ways up the Potomac.

We're at Columbia Island Marina. The marina's immediate neighbor is the Pentagon.

Solomon's would be fun.. I need a longish trip in my future. It used to be Tim's but that got old.

• HamdogHamdog Member Posts: 247 ✭✭

I run the blowers for a couple of minutes before I start the engines.....longer if I just fueled up and always run them whenever the engines are running.

"Wetted" Bliss 2005 Rinker 342 - Black Hull - Twin Mercruiser 350 Mags - BIII's
    As an update, just had one of the yellowtail blowers fail this weekend.  Only 4 seasons old.  A little disappointed but i guess that is why they are relatively inexpensive compared to other units out there.  Outside of that what a weekend.  It was probably nicer out than all summer weekends in 2017...
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I run the blower all the time  the engine is running also,I also  installed a fume detector that is wired direct to the battery so its on all the time 
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Blower on all the time and I just replaced mine last season 
    so it’s super quiet