Options

"Popping" sound

aferretti3aferretti3 Member Posts: 21
Hey everybody! I have a 2007 280 EC with the 496 mag mercruiser. This past weekend we started having an issue with the engine....at higher rpm's (3800 and higher) and while trying to get on plane the engine starts making loud "popping" noise. At idle, slow ahead, slow reverse, even at mid range forward the engine is great.?. My brother in law was wondering if I had gotten a bad batch of gas (possible water in the fuel)?.? I had filled up two weeks ago but cruised for a couple hours after filling up. It wasn't until the next week when I took it out again that this noise started. Bad gas, bad spark plugs, ?,?,?. I don't know anything about engines so any advice would be much appreciated!!

Comments

• Options
    duane.mosleyduane.mosley Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
    definitely misfiring from the sounds of it. could be bad gas, could be bad plug or wire. i just had the same issue this past weekend so i went through and replaced all the plugs, wires, distributor cap, rotor button, and fuel filter. won't know until saturday if my issue is resolved. good luck.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    edited June 2015
    Probably water in the fuel filter ...

Follow the fuel line to the front of the engine.  Does it have a big twist-on fuel filter that looks similar to an oil filter?  Take it off and pour the contents into a clear container such as a jar.  Wait a minute or two -- does the fuel separate into two layers?  If so, replace the fuel filter and that should solve your problem.  
    Post edited by LaRea on
  • Options
    Thank you Duane and LaRea for your feedback. I'm trying to replace the fuel/water separator filter first and if it's still acting up then plugs, wires,etc...
    Duane, did your issue get fixed?
  • Options
    i'll let you know later. air conditioning at the house went out and i just now got it fixed. haven't left the house yet.
  • Options
    Took the boat out today...still "popping" getting on plane and at high rpm's. Going to have a local mechanic take a look at it. Duane, what happened with yours?
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    could be predetonation, and actually sounds like it is. 

if you've addressed wires, plugs, dizzy cap, fuel/filters and other obvious culprits, it could be that you're timing is off.  

I don't know how these engines advance with a carb- whether it's vacuum or signal from a sensor ( cam shaft or crank sensor), but with a computer (ECM/PCM) it's without doubt a result of the tables on the computer reconciling with the crank position sensor (ckps) and/or cam position sensor (cps).  

other sensors that could be impacting fuel trim/timing advance on a computer controlled engine are the MAP/MAF (dunno which you got, one or the other), and the air intake temperature sensor (AIT), either of which give readings to the computer which the computer reconciles and adjusts trim/spark accordingly.

now here's the thing- when the computer is doing it's thing based off of sensor readings, that's called 'closed loop', and it's usually a result of reaching operational temperature and the computer receiving reasonable (reconciled) readings from each of the sensors in the loop... that's the way the thing operates... something else it does, though, is it 'opens' loop at or near WOT- disregarding the messages being sent by the sensors and just tossing max fuel at the engine under a fixed spark advance (likely around -37*tdc)- which is somewhat of a 'protection' in the case fuel runs lean...

no matter if you're using a thunderbolt ignition or a PCM, they record predets... That 'popping' would concern me until I ruled predetonation out as a cause.  Get a scanner on those things and see if that's the issue.  

• Options
    aferretti3- my misfire is gone after my tune up.

• Options
    Duane, great to hear! 212rowboat, thanks for the input. I've got a mechanic coming out next week to check the computer for faults. He said to expect around a $500 bill and hopefully that will take care of it.?. Don't know how close that number will be considering he hasn't seen/heard my problem yet...I'll keep you guys informed.
  • Options
    212rowboat212rowboat Member Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's a lot of coin for a scan, but.... if he's busy enough that he is selecting jobs and setting his prices accordingly, it is likely that others are too... good boat techs are at a premium this time of year.  
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    Is it a popping sound or more of a slapping sound, like something is slapping the swim platform?

If you put the boat in neutral and bring the rpm's up does it make the same sound?
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    It's more of a popping sound. I tried pushing the throttle only button and revved the engine, but no sounds. 
  • Options
    If it's water in the fuel filter, you wouldn't hear it pop until the engine is under load.
  • Options
    WeberWeber Member Posts: 249 ✭✭✭
    It's more of a popping sound. I tried pushing the throttle only button and revved the engine, but no sounds. 
    When under load if one engine is not running as strong as the other it will attempt to sync the two motors, I have heard a slapping noise as it retards the one motor if the difference is large enough.
    Sin or Swim - Rinker 312
  • Options
    Weber, I have a single engine 280 ec. I tried replacing fuel filter. Not really sure if there's a way to drain the water/fuel separator. It seems as though I have the Gen III cool fuel module. The only thing I've read on it is to change the filter and drain the filter cup when replacing the filter. I'm waiting on the mechanic to come next week and do a diagnostic check on the computer....I hope it doesn't lead to B. O. A. T.     !!??!? Thanks for all the advice so far everybody!
  • Options
    So here is an update on my "popping sound" issue. I had a mechanic out today...he changed the plugs because he said they looked terrible and I'm not sure the last time they were changed (I've only owned the boat 1 year). He then put his fuel gauge on the engine and fired it up. The gauge went to 70lbs which I guess is extremely high.?. Then he tried tapping on the fuel regulator and it went up to almost 80lbs!?! He's currently ordering another regulator...not sure how much $$$ that's going to cost. Also, he did a diagnostic check...there was a cam sensor fault and some other fault that I can't remember but it happened at the same time so he's thinking maybe a harness came apart at some point to cause multiple faults at same time.  Just curious to see everyone's opinion, comments, advice, etc. thanks 
  • Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Read this thread: Are boats so unreliable or is it just me"
  • Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Combine your house and your car, possibly 2 cars, put it in the water then shake hard from running. There you go. lol

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    I was just trying to google my fuel pressure problem...I have the gen III cool fuel module. I read on one post that Mercury knows of a problem with paint flaking off internally and blocking screens/hoses, causing too much pressure. It also stated that Mercury would replace this part free of charge!?! Is this a scam/hoax? Has anyone else heard of this??
  • Options
    The issue is real, but I haven't heard anything about free repairs.
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yep, I've been thru this issue and know personally a few others that have as well.  None of us got anything for free.  The regulator is an easy swap, but if you are having the paint flaking, it will just clog the new one as well.  Also, the place where the water comes thru to cool the fuel corrodes and eventually will leak.  Again, another known problem and there is a bulletin out for this one.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Man you gassers have a lot of problems!
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    That's because we use them unlike some of you oil burners lol 
  • Options
    Ray, you change your screen name to JC290? LOL
  • Options
    JC290JC290 Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭
    Now that's funny handy 
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Very funny............
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    So here's the scoop....mechanic finally made it out today! He pulled the cool/fuel module, removed the regulator...and holy ****! Paint chips everywhere!!!?! In the inlet, regulator screen and starting to creep into the outlet. Installed new regulator after cleaning everything out and it worked like a charm! No "popping" noise anymore. $1200 later and I'm back in business!!?!
  • Options
    God, I love my b.o.a.t.
  • Options
  • Options
    In my pic, the black object that is wavy is all paint chips!
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Aferretti3,  

Glad you found your problems and were able to get fixed quickly.  I just noticed you too are in Cleveland, what marina are you at?  We are at Olde River this year.  Also, what mechanic do you use.  We are still new to Cleveland, I like to ask around for opinions and thoughts on area mechanics.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props