Stern Anchor

aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
 What anchor would be best to use as a stern anchor for my 242? I used the one on the right the other day, it worked but felt if it was windy out I don't think it would hold (I think it's 5 lbs.). The one on the left I had in my basement and is 10 lbs. do you think the one on the left would be better to use?

2008 330EC

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is your primary anchor a Danforth similar to the one on the right?  Are you happy with how it holds in the places where you normally anchor?  If yes, I'd stick with that style.  You can make it hold better by adding more chain.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, it is. It hold the boat pretty good. I'll add some chain and see if it helps. Thanks!
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree with LaRea & it really depends on the ground in your area.  I know the Danforth is what is generally used around here.  I have a plow on my front, but use the Danforth for my stern.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• NavyCTRCNavyCTRC Member Posts: 303 ✭✭✭
    If you want to sleep at night, use both!  Carry a small shovel to actually bury the anchor on the beach. 
  • 06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    For a stern anchor, will this work for a 270?  Also how much chain and rhode is good for stern?Think @Dream_Inn you said 100' but can't remember.  Thanks 

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270

I believe my stern anchor is 100', although for some reason it feels like 150'.  100' should be fine though.  Something like this (#13):

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/show_product.do?pid=59325

Remember, your next boat will be bigger and the one after that even bigger! :)  If you buy a decent stern to start with, you can use it all the way thru.  The stern anchor I have, it was the bow anchor I used with my 24' (anchor that came with it was smaller, left it with boat for next owner).  Then I used it as a stern for my 310, and now for my 400. 

The one you have in the pic looks fine, but price out the line, chain, and shackle to see if it just makes sense to buy a package.  Usually you can find the package on sale somewhere if you look around.

What weight is yours John?

With your "buy up" thought process wouldn't the 16lb be better for future boats than the 13/14?  As a 310/320 is hopefully in my near future.

As always thanks for the great advice.

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    Fortress/Guardian brand Danforth style anchors are available in an aluminum alloy that are much lighter than the standard galvanized steel Danforth anchors with much greater holding power than equivalent sized steel anchors. Lots of good anchoring knowledge on West Marine's site.
  • F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    I have 30ft of chain on the front and then 70ft of rope with a Bruce anchor, and when using the rear its a danforth anchor with 100ft of rope only. Seems to hold my 30ft rinker fine over night..My area is mostly sand
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
    Patrick, yes the 16lb would be better.  I was just showing an example of it all together.  I'll have to check what mine is.  I seems every bit as heavy as 16lbs or more (especially when I'd try to swim with it - hint - if swimming with it, but a life jacket on the anchor, much easier :) ).  I'll let you know.  We've been staying on the boat all week, so I'll check tonight.

edited September 2017
    FINALLY got me a stern anchor. 100' rope vs 150' rope...anyone have an opinion one way or the other? 
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2017
    I'd go with the 150 feet as IMO you want at least an 8:1 ratio measured from the attachment point of the rope on the stern to the bottom. BTW, of course you know to remove that stern anchor if using the generator at night (in particular) to let the boat swing with the wind/current. *****Also if mooring at an anchorage with other boats already moored it is advisable to first see how they are anchored. If they are all bow anchored then setting a stern anchor might not be advisable in case the wind swings them onto your boat which was not able to shift with the wind - particularly in an overnight situation where you will be asleep during wind/current shifts.
    edited September 2017
    Appreciate the info @Michael T. Had an interesting situation this last weekend.  When I arrived at my anchorage the boat on my port was not stern anchored and a boat on my starboard was stern anchored.  I ended up going a bit closer to the non stern anchored boat, not using a stern anchor myself, and had no problems.

Another one...does everyone use chain with the stern anchor?  I see a lot of people around me do not. 
    Post edited by 06Rinker270 on
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I use stern anchors all the time but it's in pretty shallow water, usually at a sandbar. Mine are all rope and If we're on the hook for the night, I've got two out, one port and one starboard.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
    Patrick, I like to have 6-8 ft chain on the stern.  That little bit just helps it dig and stay in.  100' for stern is probably ok for most of the depths in the bay and most of the time stern is used close to shore anyhow.  But, I have 150' and use most of it when I use stern.

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I have a Fortress brand danforth style anchor for a stern.  Up here we mostly have sandy lake bottom and it does a good job.  I like Fortress because they're light for their size.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX