342 Arch Speaker Change Out

Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
How hard will it be to widen the arch holes by 0.8"? Current speakers are 2006 original. They are the Clarion 1625. I found a great deal on brand new Clarion 1622's which are the replacement and ordered all 6 for the cockpit. Now looking at install it looks like they are the same size outer dimension, same screw holes, but the cutout for the new 1622 will be 0.8" wider. PIA but not a huge deal for the 4 speakers in glass but the arch speakers concern me. How difficult will it be to widen the metal arch holes? I have a dremmel, jig saw, reciprocating saw, oscillating multi-tool, etc... Thanks. Cutout comparison: 

https://www.keoghsmarine.com.au/image/data/PDF/Clarion CMG Speaker Cut Out Comparison.pdf
07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Tagged:

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    The arch is aluminum so it's as easy/hard as the tools and experience you have cutting nice round holes in aluminum.  I had to do something similar with my 280.  I replaced old Memphis Audio 7 inch speakers with new Memphis Audio 7 inch speakers which were sightly larger.  I used a rotozip to make the holes bigger, but they were in fiberglass.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Liberty44140 I did this on my 280 and buddies boats as well. Do yourself a favor and invest in a Dremel. They spin at crazy high RPM's and they make a variety of bits for cutting different surfaces and such. I have found whenever cutting or drilling, It works out great if you use painters tape and tape off the whole area and then cut through that it reduces the chipping greatly. But I only use my Dremel tool when cutting in the fiberglass or aluminum arch. You won't be disappointed
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    Before you cut.  Check the depth.  The arch is pretty shallow and when I was looking at boats last fall I found a few that forgot to check that.  The speakers wouldn't go in all the way.  This made me look further into "what else did he do".  I quickly walked away from the boat as the list grew.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • JBam67JBam67 Member Posts: 109 ✭✭
    Here's an idea, use a 1 inch led lighted trim ring that fits the speaker diameter. This will allow for the speakers natural taper to fit into your existing hole and have no need to cut the opening bigger. And you will have a lighted ring....A 2 for 1!
    Can always add depth with some starboard though. I have seen people do it and make it look factory. 
    Maybe this is a good time to invest in some lighted speaker rings.  It would bring the speaker out a bit so it should not require as big a whole, plus it would look awesome.  :)

For sure.That's always an option. Just depends what the height of the LED ring is and what you need the additional depth to be. 
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, good stuff! I do own a dremmel so I will make sure to have the right bit for aluminum. That should solve the cutout issue. Depth is a good point. The new speakers will be just over 1/8" deeper than the old so while I think that there will be no problem with depth if there is I'll have a decision to make whether to return, add rings or if it is really a slim gap I probably could just use almond colored silicone. I have not been big on the whole LED trim thing but the speaker rings look neat! I will respond back with the outcome, this makes me feel better about using the dremmel to enlarge the holes. 

• diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    My humble opinion: be careful with a rotozip or a dremel if you're using a spiral cutting bit(looks like a drill bit). They are sometimes tough to control and "walk off" on you. Depending on how thick the aluminum is, I would even try one of those drum sanders. You'll get a cleaner hole and they're much easier to control. Have a shopvac handy. 
    Noted and thanks

• ApriceAprice Member Posts: 125 ✭✭
    edited April 2017
    @Liberty44140

They have trim rings without the LEDs and other options to add the depth with starboard type material. On an old boat I used a metal cutting blade on my jigsaw and added a 1x2 to the bottom plate and that allowed me better control and limited the depth of  the blade so I could be precise in my cut. Worked great and could be an option for you. However, I think the little bit of material your looking to remove would be easier with the Dremel. Good luck!!

Anthony Price 
    The Price is Right
    MacRay Harbor, Harrison Twp., MI 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do yourself a quick check favor. Feel/look behind the speaker mount area. On my 342 there was what seemed like an added 'ring' of AL at the speaker hole. You don't want to cut past that. 

That is a lot of metal to remove. More work than you might suspect. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I took the easy way out and replaced all the Kenwood speakers with identical replacements.  

edited April 2017
    Thanks guys. I am going to access the situation tomorrow when I go to the boat. Speakers dont arrive until Monday. Even though the cutout is over 3/4" wider per the speaker spec, my actual holes may be bigger and I may not need to cut that much. Agree with BD if there is a build up ring issue I may need to return at least the one set. 

@Stodge my factory speakers are Clarion 1625 from 2006 and the Clarion replacement after the 1625 is the 1622 that I ordered. I didnt realize until after ordering that Clarion's replacement needs a wider cutout and is slightly deeper. Apparently Kenwoods engineers are far smarter than Clarions making the replacements the same dimensions. I'll take some measurements, maybe the Kenwoods you bought would fit my holes perfectly? Do you recall the model?

I am motivated to make them work though. Clarion Marine newest 6 1/2's are over $100 a pair. These 1622's are discontinued now and are down to $65 a pair new in box. I got these on Amazon Warehouse Deals with damaged packaging but new speakers for $29 a pair delivered. 

One additional thought. Amazon has black ABS 1/2" spacers for 6 1/2" speakers for $6 a pair delivered. May be best to just go with them. Can of Rustoleum 2X and they would look perfect. 

edited April 2017
    Well @Black_Diamond was right in that they really thickened up the arch at the speaker holes. Here is a pic. If I were to cut 3/4 inch out i would still be in the thick stuff but I'm not sure that I want to cut 3/4" out of 1" thick aluminum. So while I am open to ideas the current plan is to still use here speakers but use 1/2" high speaker ring spacers painted to match the arch. Depth is not an issue, just can't get clarions new speakers in these 5" holes.