Engine hatch wont open

mirab1ndmirab1nd Member Posts: 5
Hey Everybody! 

I have a '14 290ec and out of nowhere, the engine hatch wont open.  It worked fine for the first two years i had the boat and i put it in the water for summer this year and it wont budge.  I haven't had a ton of time to diagnose the problem, but when i hit the switch on the dash to open it, nothing happens, not even a sound.  So i have a feeling it could be electrical.

Has anybody experienced this in the past? and if so, what did you do to fix it?

Thanks for your time! 

Comments

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Same thing as my 280. If you go in the storage door off the swim platform and take the starboard vent out of the floor you can reach in the engine compartment and pull the pin for the hatch rod. Then take out the six screws that holds in the table mount that goes in the top of the engine compartment hatch. Once you pull that mount out, you can get the grip you're going to need to lift the hatch up. Just a tip, have a 2 or 3 ft 2x4 to prop open the hatch. Ask me how I know this. IF your troubleshooting doesn't pan out with the switch of course lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2017
    Same for me this spring.  Find the cable connector at the bottom of the actuator.  Unplug it, clean the contacts, try again.
  • jcc2823jcc2823 Member Posts: 54 ✭✭
    On ocassion mine stops working- generally in the up position thankfully. First time I got frustrated and whacked it with a wrench. Lol. That actually worked. Haha I think the actuator has brushes in the motor and maybe sometimes they get stuck and need a little tap to get back into place. At least that's my theory. Could be totally wrong. 
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    There should be a zerk fitting on the motor itself. I usually give mine a couple pumps of grease in the spring. 
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • mirab1ndmirab1nd Member Posts: 5
    Thanks everybody all set!