How crucial is the drive shower on a Bravo 3 ? Mine broke off...

Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
After I had my extended swim platform installed, I saw a potential problem with clearance issues for the drive shower. Well....the inevitable happened, and it first bent it, then broke it off. I noticed it before losing it, so I still have it, just removed.  My question is......for occasional use (10-12 trips a year) and rarely ever boating for more than 90 minutes continuously, is it really needed?   
I don't really have any options on relocating the support brackets for the swim platform, so if I just fix the mounts for the drive shower, I think it would happen again.  Thanks  B)
2000 Captiva 232 

Comments

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They do have one that looks like this, see if you have clearance with this type. There are other type's . 
    Image result for Drive shower
    Boat Name : 

• jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Drive showers do help cool the outdrive which is needed for high horsepower high speed extended operation. On most cruisers they are nice to have, and may reduce temptatures, but are not a must have, in my opinion. There was some talk on this site about "dipping drives" where after running on plane for a period of time which lifts the upper part of the outdrive out of the cooling effects of the passing water, you slow down and drop off of plane for several minutes, dipping the drive below the water allowing it too cool itself. If you use the search option on the top right of this home page, and type in dipping drives, you will find the information.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just did a 3 hour/82 mile run last week. I posted the "dipping drives" thread last month in anticipation of this run. I do not have showers so I was concerned about heat. I did come off plane twice during this run (once per hour for 4 minutes) for piece of mind and I had no overheating issues. When we got to the dock I checked the drive lube tanks and all was well, they were warm to the touch, not HOT, but they are connected to a hot engine in a hot engine room so they should be warm! That said I was traveling along side 4 other boats and one of them was a Chaperal 310 with twin 5.0 merc's and bravo 3's. He did not stop at all. He continued straight for the 3 hours/82 miles along with the V drive Sea Rays we were traveling with and he had no overheating issues on his B3's. Tomorrow I plan to do a 3.5 hour/98 mile run and I plan stop once after 2 hours for 5 - 10 min to use the head and dip drives. I think we will likely add showers this winter just for piece of mind but based on that Chapperal I'm not convinced that they are needed. I've talked to guys on the dock who have done 5-6 hour runs with B3's and no overheat with no showers. Maybe we have better luck in the less dense freshwater vs salt? I dont know. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    They do have one that looks like this, see if you have clearance with this type. There are other type's . 
    Image result for Drive shower
    That design is slightly different than mine, and may work. I'll get pics of mine on Friday and post here.  It busted off the little tab that holds it in place on the bottom.  I knew my clearance was close, so I made it a habit to always trailer it with the motor turned to the right, but it was inevitable that while at camp, I was going to have it turned the wrong way and raise engine fully while beached......yep, snapped that tab right off!  
    2000 Captiva 232 
    I'm not sure what type of operation is going to generate more heat on a drive, constant upper rpm's of cruising, or lugging lower rpm's while pulling tubers, or wakeboarders?   I think I will find a way to alter the mount for mine, just for peace of mind  B)
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could get it welded back on
  • WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    @Liberty44140

Thanks for posting your recap.  I also am not convinced they are required for normal boating.
    2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

You could get it welded back on
    If I can somehow change the angle, or maybe even just tuck it a little closer to the drive, that's the plan.  But if I just weld it back in place, I will snap it off again...I'll post a picture of the platform support for a visual. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    edited August 2017
    You can see the drive shower in this picture, and how it'd hit the support with the drive turned to the left side...

2000 Captiva 232 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Opinions vary widely on this topic.  My opinion is that drive showers are like taking vitamins:  they can help if you have a specific problem, but most people don't have a problem.  

What I mean is that, in general, express cruiser outdrives don't have a problem with overheating.  The number of express cruisers with drive showers is probably less than 5%, but there's no epidemic of overheating.  Outdrives fail mostly from corrosion or impact, not overheating.  

Yes, the upper unit is out of the water when you are on plane.  But the entire lower unit is submerged in moving water, and it acts as an enormous heat sink that pulls heat out of the upper unit.  People see dried water scale on the upper unit, and they assume that it's overheating.  

On the other hand, if you have a drive shower and don't need it, there's no real harm done (like taking unnecessary vitamins).  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see how much water actually splashes on a drive during normal cruise speeds without a shower. Anyone with a GoPro willing to try and get this video? Obviously mount the camera on the swim platform somehow!
    2008 330EC
    I found this video. If you have through hull exhaust under your platform you don't have to worry at all, LoL!
    https://youtu.be/KXtFG5J2EaY
    2008 330EC
  • vyborny1vyborny1 Member Posts: 77 ✭✭
    They look easy to install, good video shows how to install & how it works

https://youtu.be/iPOqoLWLwPg
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee
    If I'm able to just bend the tube a little bit, without kinking it, it will be an easy fix! I'm gonna take a look on Friday... 
    2000 Captiva 232 
    Go to harbor freight and pick up this tube bender. You need to use one of these so you don't kink the tube.
    https://t.harborfreight.com/tubing-bender-3755.html?utm_referrer=https://www.google.com/
    2008 330EC
    Well I ended up just drilling a hole in the tube, and using a cotter pin through it, instead of trying to weld the tiny little tab that had broken off on the mount. It has a little bit of give to it now also, so it won't bust off again.  I'm in business again!  B)
    2000 Captiva 232