Options

Tv receptacle

We have a 2006 320 FV. Can anyone explain why the breaker for the television receptacle is on the DC side of the breaker panel? We have the original TV / DVD on our boat and we stayed our first night away from shore power this weekend. When we tried to watch a movie, only the light would come on for a second and then it would power down. I powered up the gennie and the TV worked fine. We were sharing the dock with others so needless to say we didn't run the gennie just for me to get my television fix.
So the real question is if the tv works off the gennie but shuts down if only on battery power, why is the television receptacle breaker on the DC side of the panel? What don't I understand?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you get a volt meter and check the outlet with and without Gen?
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The breaker on the DC panel is for the cigarette lighter plug,a DC TV needs to have that plug in, like handy said check with a volt meter. Oh and remember no TV in the bed room.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My original tv/DVD in my 06 342 had two tv power cords behind it and only one could be used at a time. one was a ac power cord which was plugged in to the 110v ac outlet and one was a red and black cord which came off of the cable harness behind the tv and that was D.C. Power. Sounds like your ac cord is hooked up but your D.C. Cord is either not plugged in or doesn't exist. The D.C. Tv switch powers both the powered antenna and that D.C. Tv power cord. Look behind the tv for another power cord coming from the wall that is not yet plugged in to the tv. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    BizmarkBizmark Member Posts: 53 ✭✭
    So you think what was happening is I was running off of D.C. but under powered for the TV until the genie was turned on, which I had the charger on ,which in turn provided more power to allow the TV to Boot up.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My TV runs off DC only. There isn't even a 120VAC outlet in the cabinet.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    My opinion is that your tv is not plugged in to D.C. At all

• Options
    Just off the batteries, the light would come on, the screen would flicker and then power down
  • Options
    Hmm, I would then maybe test the amount of power coming in. May not be enough. Even though I had both ac and D.C. Options I had it plugged in to only D.C. At first. Worked fine until one night during a movie the admiral flushed the head. The power draw on the D.C. System was like hitting a reset button on the tv. I don't think it turned it off, just re started it, had to restart the DVD. So we mainly used it on ac after that.

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you didn't change anything any it turns on with the gennie, it means you are hooked up to 12V, but your batteries are not holding charge.  I'm willing to bet your house battery is shot.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    So I'm on the boat investigating and the Tv is definitely connected to DC. With shore power and the converter putting out 12.9-13.0 volts. The tv plays a dvd just fine. Shut off the converter and the power drops to 12.4 volts. tv comes on but shuts down with a dvd trying to boot up. I'm not pleased if the batteries are not putting out as all four (2 house) are all brand new Interstate put in by the marina before we moved the boat.
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2017
    Biz. How is the tv plugged in right now.   Via AC outlet or are you direct wired to D.C. / cigarette plug?  

If your tv is plugged into 110v AC line it will only power up when you are plugged into shore power or the generator is running.  It is not going to work on both.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Do you have a multimeter with you, I'm assuming yes based on your previous thread.

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    I'm definitely connected on DC. The numbers are from the volt meter at the panel.
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While at the dock, shut off the shore power, then take a voltage reading on the end of the power cable to the TV. If you are dropping that much voltage, then your fridges should also be shutting down at some point. I agree with others that the batteries are possibly bad. What is the date code on the batteries? There should be a small sticker with a letter and number. The letter is the month and the number is the year. A battery with C7 sticker would have been made in March of 2017.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!