Questions about propane storage

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I lost track of which thread it was in, but someone asked me if there was a CG regulation about storage of the small propane cans for grills on recreational watercraft.  I asked my higher-ups and was told there was nothing official.  But there are recommendations to not store propane cans below decks, in a cabin area or in an area where the propane could leak into an engine space.  Propane is heavier than air and will sink to low spots.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Look at sailboats with propane for cooking.  The tanks are mounted aft, in totally devoted compartments AND have a vent/drain hole to let any fumes escape. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Black_Diamond has a good point. Not sure if it matters but most sailboats are diesel. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    Fixed propane storage is a whole different animal.  Same with commercial vessels and propane tanks.

It all boils down the the same thing.  Keep propane where any leakage won't find it's way to where you sleep, or where a spark could ignite it.

Some industrious person should come up with colored propane to show how it settles into low places.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX