Options

Shower Sump mis-behaving

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
The first season we had the 342 I had to replace the shower sump.  I ran into a problem with the new one the next season where it would run but not pump.  The solution was to open the box, pull out the pump and put it back into place.  Then it pumped great.  I noticed the problem again on our long trip.  It seemed the worst after a bumpy ride.

I'm wondering if water is getting into the discharge line and causing some kind of hydro-lock.  The only fix that comes to mind is a check valve.  Guess what I need is a good plumber.  Any thoughts?

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    We had that issue after I put in a new pump last summer. The issue was an obstruction. I had caulked where the exit line connects with the box because that is how the original was done. The residual caulk narrowed the exit by over half. Once I got the line completely clear and removed all caulk (did not re caulk after that), no further issues. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We had that issue after I put in a new pump last summer. The issue was an obstruction. I had caulked where the exit line connects with the box because that is how the original was done. The residual caulk narrowed the exit by over half. Once I got the line completely clear and removed all caulk (did not re caulk after that), no further issues. 
    I did switch the discharge line from the corrugated hose that was in place to clear 3/4 ( I think) tube.  No caulk, just hose clamps. 

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,559 mod

@stodge - I had identical issue as you.  I changed out the pump, and it would take a tap on the box and then it would work.  Float switch was fine.  I ended up taking the second pump back and getting a third one.  Been working great all summer! :)  I think they have a bunch of pumps that are flaky!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express