Options

Can surge brakes be converted to electric on trailer? If so, anyone do it?

04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
Has anyone converted their trailer from surge to regular electric brakes? My 270 has surge brakes on the trailer. They seem to work fine, just every time I stop and take off I can feel the plunger going in and out and then kinda jerks as it catches once I take off. My truck has the built in brake controller so I figured I might as well use it. 

Comments

• Options
    Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I'm going to. I have a 280EC on a trailer, and I've been dragged backwards down a ramp before. It's not fun. I also hate the jerk as you start pulling forward - there's a few ways to minimize that, but they're all cheap fixes.

I'm looking at the etrailer EoH kit, specifically: https://www.etrailer.com/Brake-Actuator/Hydrastar/HBA16-252-82.html

You'll need a third axle kit if you have a triple (I do): https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories-and-Parts/Redline/9579-01.html

You'll also need an electronic brake controller that's compatible. My tow vehicle came with a Prodigy P2 wired in (but I just discovered my reverse isn't wired into the hitch - WTH?).

You'll also need a solid coupler, or to drill/bolt your current coupler. I'm thinking my nice coupler, in like new condition, is worth at lease the price of a solid coupler on the used market, so I'll buy a new solid coupler and sell mine when I'm done.

Labor is fairly straight forward - if you know how to bleed brakes you should be able to set up and calibrate your new system. Otherwise find a local trailer shop, it should be under $1500 for parts and labor.
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I am going to say this.
    properly adjusted and working surge brakes work good.
    hydraulic or electric means nothing if you don’t have the weight and brakes to stop the load.
    i see mid size suvs pulling large boats and trust me under emergency conditions that truck will be pushed like a toy even with electric brakes and anchor out the side.
  • Options
    04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    Alswagg said:
    I will second the idea Electric via Hydraulic Brakes.  Best of both.  
    electric over hydraulic is what I want.

zaverin1 said:
    I am going to say this.
    properly adjusted and working surge brakes work good.
    hydraulic or electric means nothing if you don’t have the weight and brakes to stop the load.
    i see mid size suvs pulling large boats and trust me under emergency conditions that truck will be pushed like a toy even with electric brakes and anchor out the side.
    I got a 2500HD rated for 12k, tows my 270 just fine right now. I just hate the jerk every stop and takeoff from the surge brake cylinder going in and out in the hitch.