Options

Amp Question

06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
Hi Everyone, happy holidays.  

I am buying the speakers in the link/screen grab below and I am hoping someone can suggest a decent amp for these.  I have two speakers inside and 4 on deck.  No subwoofer.  So does that mean 2 channel?  I want to keep the current set up where the two inside can be shut off while the outside play.  I know this topic has been discussed in length but a little lost on what I actually need for this set up.  Santa is coming quick.  I appreciate the advise.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EX5M60Y/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I3HFNBVZYMNYYP&colid=118RCSKZBGPES&psc=1

Patrick
06 Rinker 270

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    4 channel
    Speakers inside get two and outside 4 get 2.
    just get 700 watts and you will be just fine 
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Or 6 if you want all 6 separate.
  • Options
    Thank you @zaverin1. What would be the reasoning behind getting two channels inside for two speakers and then 2 channels for the outside 4?  Or even 1 channel per speaker?  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you go with a 4 channel amp, you can have that power the 4 speakers that are in the cockpit on the "rear" side of the stereo. Then you can use the stereo to power the "front" side. Then you can fade the stereo to the rear and only have the cocpit speakers going and fade to the front and only have the cabin speakers playing.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @zaverin1 can correct me if I'm wrong but each channel runs one side for stereo. So two channels for left and right feeds. 4 channels would allow you to run below deck on two and abive deck on two so you can control fade and balance separately. 6 gives you even more control. 
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LOL @Cableguy Greg it looks like we both answered simultaneously. Your explanation is better though.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    When they say channel it means one speaker
    so 4 speakers require 4 Channels. 
    Yes you can run front cabin speakers from the head unit and other 4 on the amp. Your deck speakers will be pushing via rear rca output function.
    works either way
  • Options
    I see, so it allows you to isolate speakers.  If I do the 4 channel then I will be able to shut off cabin speakers while playing in the cockpit.  

Anyone have an amp they recommend? Iv seen a few on here that people have bought.

I am looking at this one:

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Easiest place to mount is inside the cabin within the reach of your head unit. Get syour nothing good jbl,pioneer, etc don’t go for
    some cheap no brand name.
    got 600 watts plus and don’t get a mono amp. Most 4 channels will have all
    optiona you need. If you have to mount outside the cabin then go with marine grade amp.
    so my undergirding is your current setup is 2 inside the cabin and 4 outside?
    current setup runs amp or just head?

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Don't forget to consider air flow to provide cooling for the amp.  Common mistake.  When the party ramps up and the music gets loud, an overheated amp will start distorting and cutting out.  Don't be that guy. 
  • Options
    Most amps have fans
    i installed my amp in a cabinet behind the headunit in the cabin
    no issues
    just don’t put it in a tight space next to a heat source like a window or another electrical device 
  • Options
    @LaRea ha yes dont be that guy.

@zaverin1 my current set up is 4 speakers in cockpit run off amp and 2 cabin run of head unit.  Amp is inside.  Its a PITA to get to so I will be repositioning.  

The amp I post is 600 watts 4 channel JBL marine amp.  I think I will be good?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    edited December 2017
    Yes it will be fine and install will be a breeze.
    Plug n play since it’s all the same besides brands.
  • Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    Amps have fans, but they don't help when they are circulating hot air inside an enclosed space.  I've seen this mistake more than once.  
  • Options
    I didn’t say put in in a match box 
    put it somewhere where amp will have air flow
    i am just saying you don’t need to put it in the wide open lol
  • Options
    69fastback69fastback Member Posts: 949 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    This what I'd get to run those. The KX line of amps are superb, and no need to worry about it overheating. Mount it wherever you want, and it'll work fine. I have a 600.1, and 1200.8 mounted inside a cubby storage with no airflow, and work them hard, and never once have they felt hot or gone into protection. 

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_206KXMA404/Kicker-44KXMA400-4.html?tp=61752&awkw=344748252447&awat=pla&awnw=g&awcr=186330246636&awdv=t&awug=9026823
  • Options
    Most good amps wont
    unless mounted to the dash lmao
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    From that I can tell, only the 6 cockpit speakers (plus sub) are fed by the amp.  The 2 in the cabin seem to be wired direct to the head unit.  My assumption is based on the fact that the fader can cut the cabin speakers in and out but they never get as loud as in the cockpit.  Not sure how common that is.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Once something is connected to amp you have same control vs connecting straight to radio 
  • Options
    Let me correct myself
    thats if all your speakers are driven by the headunit.
    this means amp via rca and front via speaker wire.
    you probably have a 5 channel or 2 separate amps one for speakers and one for sub stodge.
  • Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    You definitely want a 4 channel amp for your setup.  And one thing to consider, if your mounting location is in the cabin, you don't need to purchase a Marine amp! Dedicated "marine" equipment is generally a little more expensive than standard stuff, and it isn't really setup much different.  I use a Alpine 4 channel to push my highs with, and it works excellent. 
    2000 Captiva 232 
  • Options
    @Lake_Bum good to ponder over.  Although it is inside the cabin, I would think it would still be up against a higher moister content than say inside a car.  I often have all the cabin windows open and during the winter, you get those temp swings that bring a lot of humidity. 

What Alpine amp do you have?

Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Trust me go with a regular amp if installed inside the cabin.
    where are most car amps mounted? Oh the trunk
  • Options
    When I upgraded my factory installed 2 channel Clarion amp, I went with the 5 channel Clarion XC2510 because I added a sub. It has performed really well for me and it takes up less space than the original amp.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Clarion is good 
  • Options
    I like that one @Cableguy Greg

Does it matter if I have a clarion stereo(which I do)?  Meaning will this hook up easier, plug and play, than the JBL I posted?
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    All of them connect up the same way. Power, audio in, and speaker out. I went with the Clarion because of the size and that it was a 5 channel amp because I was adding a sub.
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    I do like the size.  My issue right now is my current amp placement.  It sits on top of tv locker.  Its freaking impossible to go to.  Anyone else have theirs located there?  I hope to move it inside the cabinet.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    You can move it anywhere you want
    You might have to extended the wires but it’s simple 
    you can drill
    lets say thru a devider and move it over 

• Options
    Lake_BumLake_Bum Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    @Lake_Bum good to ponder over.  Although it is inside the cabin, I would think it would still be up against a higher moister content than say inside a car.  I often have all the cabin windows open and during the winter, you get those temp swings that bring a lot of humidity. 

What Alpine amp do you have?

I'm not really sure which one I have, and the boat is all tucked away for Winter. I believe it is a 4 channel, 300 watt.  If you plan on ever adding a subwoofer, you can make life easier with a 5 channel.  I chose to seperate my speakers though, I have a seperate amp for my subwoofer, a 500 watt mono sub amp. 
    2000 Captiva 232