Options

How do you know type of trailer?

New to group! New to owning! Awesome and so much to learn. Have a 2005 250fv and need a trailer. How do you which type or lind to buy?

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2017
    I will echo what Al states about a Trailmaster trailer. They custom build them for the boats and have all of the specs for Rinkers. When I bought my current 280EC, I purchased a generic Venture trailer for the boat. I never liked how the boat sat on that trailer. I had a Trailmaster under my 232cc, so I had experience with them. After two years of struggling with the Venture, I sold it and bought a custom built Trailmaster for my 280. The boat goes on and off like a dream. There are a few dealers in the Buffalo area.

http://www.trailmastertrailers.com/

No matter what trailer you get, spend the extra few dollars and upgrade to the LED lights. They are worth every penny spent!
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    My last boat was purchased with a new loadrite trailer spec'd for the weight and size +an extra 15% lbs.  Everyone is giving you good advice but i would also add that it is important to have it properly setup for your boat at the boat yard.  This is done by loawering the boat on trailer with a crane and adjusting the bunks and stops to make sure it is sitting with the right amount of weight on the tongue.  Critical for safe towing.
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    MsquaredMsquared Member Posts: 30 ✭✭
    Great advice! Thank you 
  • Options
    jhofmannjhofmann Member Posts: 430 ✭✭✭
    Check your towing laws, Some states only require brakes on one set of axles, others like Connecticut reqiuire branks on all axles. You will most likley have a tandam ( 2 ) axle trailer like I have for my 2000 FV 242. If you go heavier planning for the next bigger boat, you may have a tri-avle ( 3 ) trailer as seen for some of the FV 270s. I went with a 10,000 lb dual axle trailer which is overkill for my 242, but will handle what I hope is my next boat, a 270.
  • Options
    Forum friends just keep getting better. Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Hi bought a 270 last year,and needed a trailer  I bought this from trailers direct in south Jersey it was around 4,000 ,he delivered the trailer to long island where I bought the boat had the marina load it on the trailer and then he delivered the trailer with the boat on it to my house in New York state for a additional 600 ,the boat is 7500 lbs and the trailer is rated for 10,500 towes great ,never had a bunk trailer before only roller trailers but its easy to load and tow 
  • Options
    Thanks. Ill look
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That looks like my trailer for my 270...brakes all four wheels...i do have surge brakes.
  • Options
    davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭✭
    Just ran across this and thought it was interesting.  They always say you need the right weight distribution on the tongue but i never completely understood why...especially when i was struggling with all that weight.  I wont complain again.
    Watch this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbdF5AZmINc 
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great demonstration 
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    Sure clears that up