Garboard Plug LED lights?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Didn't want to hijack @hmalekib's other thread on underwater LED's but the Garboard plug style has me intrigued versus drilling into the hull. I haven't decided if it's a good idea or not. Do these things ever fail and leak? To remove for fall drainage do they swivel, or do you just leave enough slack wire to spin them around? What do insurance companies think about these things? Anybody had a bad experience with these?
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I was sooooo close to buying one of those last Spring.  I read people saying the drive got in the way of the light...not sure if that's a big deal or not.  They also have the one's that are shaped like a Y and have 2 lights on them.  They are still tempting to get but I have other finances to worry about at the moment.  LOL 
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    To be honest, even if I was a millionaire, I would not ever spend 600 dollars on a bunch of light being put in under my boat. These companies are nuts. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    J3ff said:
    To be honest, even if I was a millionaire, I would not ever spend 600 dollars on a bunch of light being put in under my boat. These companies are nuts. 
    That is why I went with the coastal night lights DS model in blue. $190 each. They have a plastic housing, so no corrosion issues.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    My previous 280 had ground effect lights mounted up under the (after-market) swim platform.  Not quite the same effect, but no holes under the water line either.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hmmmm. That could work also.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Companies are nuts? LOL call it what you want but I am seeing more and more boats with underwater lights on them. Whose making the money lol
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I think he meant boaters are nuts, but that is already known! :)  Me or Greg may think it's crazy to spend that kind of money on underwater lights, but we'll blow it on something else for the boat.  Non-boaters think we are all nuts!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    Haha, If I didn't want the color changing lights I would of gone with Coastal Night Lights. Scott (I think his name was) the owner personally answered all my questions over email. Great guy
    Boat Name: Knot A Worry
    2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3