Shore power

taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
Im not sure what this breaker is called on my 400ec. It’s on the aft port side. If I run the vacuum cleaner, the line two will trip after about 1 minute. Also, it trips with the ac on intermittently. If using the genny, this has never happened. 
Not sure if this is a dock power stand issue, power cord issue or a breaker issue. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check wires behind the breakers
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On some newer boats, I think this breaker is  actually an ELCI (equipment leakage circuit interrupt).  If yours is an ELCI, you might have an underlying electrical problem that is tripping the ELCI. 

So the first thing, like Handy said, is take that switch panel off and inspect the wiring at the back.  Look for signs of heat damage, and find out if it's an ELCI.  
  • taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    It’s a 2008 400. I think the breaker is original. I will do some research on ELCI and check it out next time on I’m on the boat(2 weeks)
    If i need to replace the breaker, would there be an upgrade/ better breaker to consider?
    Thanks!
    Now that I think about it, an ELCI would have a reset button.  Plus, I think they didn't really hit the market until 2010-ish.  

This got me thinking about bringing my boat up to the current ABYC standard by installing ELCI breakers.  From what I've seen so far, they are not cheap.  
  • taylor1taylor1 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    I was at the St Louis boat show yesterday. The new 37 EC was there. Beautiful boat. I noticed they have moved the above breaker to the main breaker cabinet in the cabin. I don’t remember seeing a reset button. 
  • Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In trying to figure out where to install on my 342. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Not sure why this would be moved to the cabin.  I was told it was at the back of the boat for a last minute shore power off before getting off the boat from an electrical fire or issue.

I'm curious what it looks like behind your breaker.  Make sure to take some pictures, as I have identical boat.  I'm guessing you may have to pull out small fridge.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

In the ABYC standard, you can put the breaker and ELCI in the cabin breaker panel if the panel is no more than 10 feet from the power inlet.   

Here's a video by ABYC:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2PIRBSeDvrg