Tag Trailer in Maine

Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

Well, I've thought about possibly buying a small (~18ft) boat for my almost 15 year old son.  There's one I'm interested in, but trailer has no title.  I've read a little about titling in MD, going the homemade route.  But they want proof of ownership (not sure how to do that one easily) and some other paperwork.  It's also not the cheapest process when all is said and done for something that I don't want to spend a lot on in the first place.

It also sounds like many people just get plates online from Maine.  Looks simple enough, and as a bonus it's cheap.  I typically wouldn't try to go this route on anything, but I'm talking about something dirt cheap in the first place (boat and trailer under $2.5k).  I'm still not sure I want to go thru the logistics and hassle of another boat and trailering it around for my son (although I'm sure he'd really learn a lot and it'd be a good bonding thing).

I figure someone here should know more on all this than I do.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Comments

• Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Well heck, I post this and go back to Craigslist to look at the boat and it was removed, owner sold.  I knew it wouldn't last long!  Oh well, still curious about ME tags.

• randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In Tennessee and Kentucky most trailers  did not have title's they were sold with a bill of sale, and those people were not required to have a plate. I've bought a few, In Indiana you must have a title and plate, the previous owners did not have a title, or lost it, since they did not need it. So apply for a lost title, have sheriff come over verify the vin number that it was not stolen, take that paper work to the BMV then you can get title and plate. 
    Boat Name : 

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited April 2018
    Dagg @Dream_Inn, you wont even get the poor boy an I phone but you will buy him a boat? What is this world coming too! LOL 
    Post edited by Handymans342 on
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A lot of semi trailers are tagged in Maine because of the cost. Next time you are driving down the highway, check out the amount of trailers that are tagged there.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MaineTrailerTagsMaineTrailerTags Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2018
    http://mainetrailertags.com/

In Maine if your trailer is older then 1995 OR under 3000 pounds empty you will just need a bill of sale to register it.

If you have the trailer already registered in your state we just need a copy of the registration from your state to get Maine tags

Trailers over 3000 pounds AND 1995 or newer will need a title to be registered. 

Dream-inn: in your case the trailer is under 3000 pounds empty so we would just need a bill of sale. That’s assuming there is a vin# already on the trailer.

If there is not a vin you’ll need to put a vin on the trailer and fill out a MVT-10 which needs to be signed by a local officer verifying the vin you state was put on the trailer is in fact on the trailer.

I hope that helps some. 

P.S. 5 year Registration is $20/year

• J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting, I have a 2place jetski trailer that I wanted to register in maine but it looked like you needed something other than a bill of sale..guess I'll go find that bill of sale.. 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dagg @Dream_Inn, you wont even get the poor boy an I phone but you will buy him a boat? What is this world coming too! LOL 
    I've met this young man.  A phone is a luxury, but a boat is a necessity!
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the boat is the much better purchase to ensure the correct path. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

@mainetrailertags - thank you so much for the information!  I think many others on here will find it very useful as well!