Options

Georgian Bay must-see destinations

StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
I'm starting to pull together plans for a Georgian Bay trip. We missed out on Georgina Bay when we went to the North Channel due to weather/mechanical issues.

We wont' be doing this till 2019 or 2020.  Right now the plan is to Stop in Harbor Beach, MI, then head to Lion's Head.  From there we'll head East to see the bay.  I'm thinking of some of the spots l've heard of like Beckwith Island, Giant's Tomb, San Souci, Killbear Marina and Regatta Bay.  

What I'm looking for is any "must see" spots or anchorages.  We enjoy time on the hook.  When planing a trip like this I'd look to spend every 2nd or 3rd night in a marina to get gas etc.

Please share any suggestions on places to visit in Georgian Bay.  Sadly I'll only have 9 days total and 4 of them will be getting to and from the top of the Bruce Peninsula which only leave 5 days for motoring around the bay.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

Comments

• Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Get on YouTube and message boat beaches and bars
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’ve only been to Tobermory up there and it’s on the outside but I’d call it a must see, heard that Kilarny is also pretty great!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    I’ve only been to Tobermory up there and it’s on the outside but I’d call it a must see, heard that Kilarny is also pretty great!
    We stayed in Tobermory, Flower Pot Island, Kilarney and a number of other stops on our "big" trip last August.  We managed to stop in a few North Channel destinations but had to cut Georgian Bay out for the most part.  So the plan is to go back and see what we missed.

• Options
    Nobody has more input on sites to see in Georgian Bay?  

• Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited May 2018
    You hit a lot of the good one's already Stodge, and with your schedule I don't know how many more you can do. If you're already in the area of Giant's Tomb Island you might want to pop over to Beausoleil Island. There are decent docks or you can anchor at the shallow beach and wade in. There is a staffed information centre and walking trails with interpretive signs. Lot's of signs warning that there are Mississauga Rattler's in the area. Lot's of anchor spots around the island. If you want to dock in a slip there is a small fee for day use, and a little more if you want to stay overnight. No hydro though.
    https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/on/georg/visit/directions/beausoleil

I've been to Giant's Tomb a few times, but apart from looking at the neat shape of the island there really isn't much to see there. Last time we were there the Admiral was freaking out because the ground is covered with a type of giant millipede that is apparently only found in a few places. When they shed they leave behind a small cigar shaped hull that crunch when you walk on them. I found it interesting. Admiral beat a retreat back to the boat.
    https://www.inaturalist.org/taxa/61341-Narceus-americanus

And between the two is the town/Port of Midland with excellent municipal run Marina, a great dockside pub that I highly recommend and you can walk the main street and check out the shops and restaurants. If not an overnight, at least a good lunch stop. Marina is fully equipped with hydro, water and indoor showers/washrooms.
    https://www.midland.ca/tourism/midland-harbour

And I should add that the largest Rinker dealer in the area is right next door to the harbour (literally across the parking lot). Central Marine. Great guys.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    So the admiral and I discussed it and we agree we need to make it a 2 week run like we did for the North Channel.  The bad news is that it pushes us back to 2021 to make the trip.  We have other vacation plans (Caribbean cruises in 2019 and 2020) which will take up our vacation time and money.  

We like to anchor out when possible.  My target is to have 2 nights on the hook before a night in a marina.  

Now that I have a lot of time to plan, I should be able to get a plan together.

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    shoot, I don't know what I'm having for breakfast much less what vacation I will be doing in 2021...or 2018!!!!! I need to plan better.
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    shoot, I don't know what I'm having for breakfast much less what vacation I will be doing in 2021...or 2018!!!!! I need to plan better.
    LOL well the admiral and her sister have planned our cruises for the last couple years.  We skipped a year of cruising to be able to take our 342 on a cruise around Lake Huron.  But then the planning fired right back up.