Options

Starboard engine overheating at low RPM

WildstyleWildstyle Member Posts: 42 ✭✭
Would anyone know why that is happening? As soon as I give it throttle on the lake it cools back down and runs fine. But as soon as I go low RPM in the channel, it starts beeping and the gauge says close to 250F degrees. 

Comments

• Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    Sounds like either an impeller or blockage in the water line.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    +++ on the impeller

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep, impeller more than likely...al what do you think about the ss wear plates and the shorter impellers? Mine worked fine....well assuming I get back in the water..
  • Options
    Ok thanks for your help guys. I’ll get it apart this week and replace the impellers. I YouTube’d It and it seems like a simple job to do...I say that now of course...
  • Options
    Hardin Marine for the SS pumps. Uses std Merc impeller. Wear plates to rebuild. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    Quick update: the impellers were both changed, but it’s still overheating. They’re going to haul it out and inspect / flush the coolant system I think next. 
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’d buy the Hardin pump and install before paying for a haul out. Pump will pay for itself in the price of a haul out.
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @alswagg I have had good results. It looks exactly like the merc impeller...stainless tops and bottoms and I have the brass pump body. Assuming I ever get back in the water...
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    If you have a fresh water cooled system, check and clean the heat exchanger. 

• Options
    A new impeller with a worn pump will not solve the problem. Basically if you have any grooves where the impeller sides run it will not move water well enough. 

PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • Options
    WildboatingWildboating Member Posts: 957 ✭✭✭
    Did you check the recirculation water pump on the front of the motor?  

2003 Rinker 342 Fiesta Vee, 350 Mag MPI, Bravo 3 2.20:1 w/ 22p 4 x4 props

• Options
    earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 333 ✭✭✭
    A new impeller with a worn housing will actually make the situation worse. The old impeller has the groove already worn in the end to match the worn housing where the new impeller does not.
  • Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    edited June 2018
    Unless the sea water pump's impeller was completely gone, it's unlikely to be the cause of your overheating. 

Check for airlock in cooling system  (easy) , belt tension (easy) , and maybe obstruction in cooling system  (harder)
  • Options
    pistole said:
    Unless the sea water pump's impeller was completely gone, it's unlikely to be the cause of your overheating. 

Check for airlock in cooling system  (easy) , belt tension (easy) , and maybe obstruction in cooling system  (harder)
    Yep that’s exactly what it was. It was an airlock...apparently they didn’t tighten the hoses all the way when getting it ready for summer. Tightened them up and problem went away! Whew!
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great fix!!
    2008 330EC