Sheila

cory143cory143 Member Posts: 20
Ok I bought a 2002 rinker 310 with twin 350 mag. On our 3 outing cruising about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle the boat fell off plane. I realized one engine was not running. My first attempt to restart it did nothing. The second time the engine fired up but was running rough and backfired a couple times then died.  I tried again to start the engine this time it turned over a few cranks then hydrolocked.  I pulled the plugs and drained water out of 2 cylinders. I replaced all the plugs and riser gaskets ( mechanic said they had failed and let water in the engine ) after all this I tried to start the engine again and nothing, tried a little starter fluid and it started backfiring again. This is when I learned if it backfires it’s able to suck water through the exhaust and into the engine. Everything is telling me my problem is electrical. After trying a few things and swapping coils still nothing. Had a mechanic go through it changing about everything from one engine to another still nothing. His diagnostic machine would not accept my 2002 system so hear I am looking for any help I can get. 
Thank you in advance 

Comments

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds fuel related.  Change all filters again
  • cory143cory143 Member Posts: 20
    Well I have a buddy who thinks fuel related however with the backfiring I didn’t think that symptom of fuel related problems. 
    Did you change the dist cap and rotor?
    Im sticking with fuel issue
    The previous owner said at one time the engine seemed to have a miss. The cap rotor and wires all look brand new. They never mentioned when filters were changed. It wouldn’t be much trouble to change filters the next time I go down. I just never imagined a back fire from a fuel injected engine could be fuel related problem. But I’ll be the first to admit when it comes to these kind of engines I’m out of my element 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    I would think fuel too change the water separator and take a look at the gas that comes out of it 
    Well guys I do appreciate the advice. I will start treating it like a fuel problem and see where that gets us. 
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Had a similar issue on my 2000 5.7L EFI.
    Started as an intermittent cut out and backfire and got progressively worse to the point of a no start. Did all the fuel and spark related things with no improvement. Turned out to be an orange wire that runs from the positive stud on the starter to the coil to provide full 12 volt to coil when engine under load. It had loosened off and the coil was cutting in and out.
    Fixed the connection and runs perfect since.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    My tach on that engine has been acting kinda funny lately so we were hoping that it was shorting out and causing the issue. We actually swapped coils but no luck.  Glad you got yours figured out 
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The older Faria tachs are notorious for acting flakey.  It's probably unrelated.  Like @GMSLITHO said - remove the fuel water separator and dump it into a clear container.  You'll probably see a layer of fuel floating on top of a layer of water.
    I have all new filters loaded up and headed to the dock after work. I’m hoping this is the cure. Now considering this could be a fuel issue has me wondering about injectors 
    Well we went down to the boat last night. Another buddy came along and even though a mechanic checked everything already. My buddy wanted to test the spark. No spark. We swapped the cap with the other engine and it started right up and ran great. We tried the other cap on the other engine and now it wouldn’t start. So after all this it came down to the cap. But I’m so glad it’s running now. And thanks for all the advice. 
  • Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    And your "mechanic" didn't look to the cap as one the first items on the list of possible suspects? 
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    You know. I don’t know what to think about the mechanic because I know he took the cap off cause the lost one of the screws and replaced it with a Philips head. 
    Was he wearing flip flops??
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't strip the screws on the dizzy you will be sad.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    He is a 71 year old mercruiser guru on the lake that everyone talks highly of. He kinda set in his ways an easy to take wrong at first. He fixes lots of bad acts around here  not sure what to think at the moment. Guess I’m just glad it’s fixed