Options

getting the transom asy back together

rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
So, I posted on my thread to lee things together- either everyone is on their boats (hope so!) or its not showing properly. It as most seems someone had this apart as the thrust washer in between the gimbal ring and housing I swear was not there when I took it apart. Anyway, the water tube looks like it should kind of press in by the ring the bellows goes on- housing is also indented. When I put the bellows on it seem to interfere so I pulled it all apart and will have to clean and re install. So does that hose push down in there after the bellows is installed or just hang there Willy nilly? The holes I drilled in the transom I need to fill with something an I want to put some sealant on the seal for the gimbal housing. I'm hearing that 3m 4000 or what ever will be a permanent bond that will pull gel coat apart- not sure I want to seal it that well...thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Above water, 4200. Below water 5200. Thats the rule
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2018
    Above water, 4200. Below water 5200. Thats the rule
    I don’t think that’s 100% true. Both 4200 and 5200 are for below the waterline. They both actually cute better with water or in water.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    This help ,make sure it’s set like this before you lock it in from the inside I would fill with git rot or west system then fiber glass the inside and gel soap outside 
  • Options
    I also sealed up the Speedo tube and use a gps 
  • Options
    OK, really stumped on a pretty silly thing....final stuff on the transom assy and I can't remember how the lower steering pin and the carter pin hold all this together, and what I remember makes no sense. I'm talking parts 17,18 and 19. So on the gimbal housing you have the two tabs and the ring goes on with a tab between the lower and upper tabs on this housing. From below, it looks like it goes in from the bottom, it looks like washer 19 is against the lower tab- the pin is not long enough to go through all three tabs- my recollection is that the carter pin was outside of the lower tab on the housing which makes no sense- it shows the hole for the carter pin is at the bottom. When you put the ring in there is a space between the lower tab shown here and the tab on the ring but I can't imagine the carter pin goes in through there? Nothing seems to make sense and I'm about ready to put the bell housing on but can't until I resolve...I have looked all over for pictures and can't find one with the bell housing off so I can see it...anyone know?
  • Options
    OK, so I figured this out but now I'm more sure it was not together right to begin with...I found, just like the drawing above, a little hole for the carter pin to go through....there is a hole in the gimbal ring for it to pass through all though it does not line up very well...so I'm trying to put the carter pin back in and as usual, the end of it is kind of messed up so it is not going into the pin hole, not aligning. So, I need to get a new pin..for some reason, I put the carter pin along the length of the territory is has to go through, it is not long enough to go through the other side and bend...so, there was a yahoo that put the pin in with the carter pin on the outside of the gimbal ring, very lucky that did not fall out and cause all sorts of issues. I wonder why this was apart on such a low hour boat? Maybe it was leaking before and someone replaced the main seal and for some reason, took the hole asy apart....there have been a couple of things on the boat that was a head scratcher or repairs. Anyway, will pick up a longer one, guess I'm done for the day. As soon as that is done, bell housing goes on and then should be ready to re assemble to the boat.
  • Options
    Yes I had to order one also you need to make sure the hole is cleaned oud and you have to bend the pin a little to get it in 

• Options
    Well, have it all back together...i replaced one of the inner trim hoses and thought I'd get by with the other...they got a little toasted while I was trying to heat the nuts for the y pipe....i brought the boat home Friday to put the transom back together. Could not bring myself to do it without replacing that other hose...28 bucks on e bay and a couple days..sur would be a bigger after installed. I can't think of a part on the asy that wont know be new.
  • Options
  • Options
    Well, got everything back together and figured I would test the boat before I put the motor back in. Before I put the out drive back on, I put a wine cork in the water pickup tube to block that. When I took the Y pipe off, I had to cut the ears off and then remove the rest of it after I pulled it through the transom. So, I used that old leftover part, got some flexible plastic and cut it out to cover the opening, used some of the sealant and put that back together. Went to the ramp, I still have a leak right there at the bottom. of the transom asy. When I put the new transom seal on, I used sealant pretty much around the hole thing as well but probably did not get the very bottom real well as there is not much metal there to put it on- with the new seal I figured it would be ok. So, I did not replace the trim manifold, it was pretty crudded up but I cleaned it up real good, what is the likelihood of it leaking there? I recall @Handymans342 having to replace his recently....is that right Steve? It was leaking there?? I could feel with my fingers right there at the bottom of the y pipe, that area, water bubbling in from somewhere....pretty disapointed after all the work I have put into this but determined I will fix this. I've come this far.....
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Dude 
    take it to a shop 

• Options
    I logged in to read that? What the heck is this forum for?
  • Options
    edited September 2018
    I feel for you that’s a big job to not go good in the end.Are you sure the water isn’t coming in from the  block the trim tabs hook up to they say not to use any sealant on it when you install it but I used some perfect seal when I did mine the bilge is dry and the pump never runs now I only see a little water by the swivel pin at the top of the assembly now after a boat ride and I think that’s  nothing to worry about 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Well, got everything back together and figured I would test the boat before I put the motor back in. Before I put the out drive back on, I put a wine cork in the water pickup tube to block that. When I took the Y pipe off, I had to cut the ears off and then remove the rest of it after I pulled it through the transom. So, I used that old leftover part, got some flexible plastic and cut it out to cover the opening, used some of the sealant and put that back together. Went to the ramp, I still have a leak right there at the bottom. of the transom asy. When I put the new transom seal on, I used sealant pretty much around the hole thing as well but probably did not get the very bottom real well as there is not much metal there to put it on- with the new seal I figured it would be ok. So, I did not replace the trim manifold, it was pretty crudded up but I cleaned it up real good, what is the likelihood of it leaking there? I recall @Handymans342 having to replace his recently....is that right Steve? It was leaking there?? I could feel with my fingers right there at the bottom of the y pipe, that area, water bubbling in from somewhere....pretty disapointed after all the work I have put into this but determined I will fix this. I've come this far.....
    Did you put on a new gasket under the trim manifold?
  • Options
    GM- I assume you mean the trim manifold and @Handymans342 I used a new gasket and perfect seal. It's coming in at the bottom - either y pipe or outer gimbal. I wonder if the gimbal has a crack in it I could not see and the y pipe bolts are opening up? It's still doing basically the same as before. I'm going to install the y pipe and the gasket( not sure if I was clear on what I did above) and try again. If it still leaking I will run a bead around the outer transom asy. I used sealant along with the new gasket but not a lot around the bottom. The transom seems to be solid so I don't think tat is the problem. Crapola.
  • Options
    OK, so had a few before I have to blast for the day....I get one day out of a weekend every couple of weeks and my days are 12 hours by the time I get home...pesky work!
    So, filled the back up with some water to test. Keep in mind no motor. So, my transom did not seem to be leaking any more which was good news. My thru hull for my raw water pump was leaking pretty good. Also, there does seem to be a little water dripping through around the trim manifold somewhere. So, will tackle the thru hull first, leave everything else alone and deal with it one by one. Looks like I had multiple leaks to deal with. And NO, I'm not taking it to a shop.
  • Options
    With all the money and frustration you have gone thru and no time to work on it. I would tow to a reputable repairman get it fixed and SELL!!!
  • Options
    And then buy a motor home and spend what little time available working on that, right? I'd venture to say boats are built way better than the best motor homes...
  • Options
    When I did my I put a bead of sealant around my outer assembly ,I’m sure it helped 
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    And then buy a motor home and spend what little time available working on that, right? I'd venture to say boats are built way better than the best motor homes...
    NO WAY
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay focused young grasshopper 1 leak at a time you will win. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Handy, I got a buddy that is a service writer at a large un named RV place- makes over 100 grand a year writing service tickets on RV's...you figure it out from there.
  • Options
    And thanks for the support from the non naysayers!
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    Handy, I got a buddy that is a service writer at a large un named RV place- makes over 100 grand a year writing service tickets on RV's...you figure it out from there.
    Thats cause they overcharge the elderly. 
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I mean same can be said about it any industry.
    sales is sales.
    do you think maintenance on boats is cheap at marina lol
    anyway I wish you all the luck and hopefully you can get her done.
    time is precious and spending few thousand on the repair bill would of put you back in the in water a lot quicker.
  • Options
    Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,329 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ras, keep plugging away buddy. My take on this is that your more motivated to complete this on your own than you are motivated to get back on the water and that is aok. It’s your boat! I applaud the motivation to figure it out. Wish I could help but I’ve got no wisdom here, just love the drive to do it right and on your own.  
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• Options
    So, the flood is down to a trickle...still leaking somewhere either up through the trim manifold or the y pipe. Hard to think 23 lbs on those y pipe bolts..I used son make a gasket sealer on the y pipe seal...guess I will try on the trim manifold...
  • Options
    Give up Rick!!
  • Options
    Thanks handy, you give me the determination I need!
  • Options
    Its ok. Keep wasting time and money. No biggie