Options

Leak in Water Pump?

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,185 ✭✭✭✭✭
I've noticed a bit more water than usual in my bilge lately, and coming off plane after a run of about 40 minutes yesterday my bilge pump kicked on, which isn't unusual, but it ran all the way back to my slip and was still letting out a steady stream when I stepped off to tie up. So I estimate at least a good couple of gallons of water in there.
I shut the engine down and opened the hatch. Couldn't see any leaks in the hull our around the transom assembly. Fired the engine back up and it did look like water was dripping from around the front lower part of the block but not a great volume, still more than perhaps should be though.
I did have the water pump pulled and re-built last year. Engine was running fine, no water in the oil.
So I'm thinking maybe a loose bolt or two on the pump housing, or a loose hose?
Is there anything else down under there I should be checking?
Will be back on the boat on Tuesday and will also bring my snake camera so I can safely peak under there with the engine running.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)

Comments

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,547 mod
    How many hours on the pump?  If the seals fail, water enters the bearings and leaks out through the front.  Is the water dripping from just behind the pulley?  Pump must be rebuilt or replaced.  
  • Options
    reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may help to find the leak. If the seal on the pump is leaking check and make sure the idler pulley is ok.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Options
    Now that I look at diagram it is missing parts.
  • Options
    Thanks guys. Just changed out idler pulleys and belt a short time ago. Pump was rebuilt last season but could have failed I suppose. There is a small amount of water weeping out of the drain hole at the top of the pump behind the pulley. That's an indication of pump failure? 
  • Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Run it and see where it’s leaking from ,how was the motor temperature 
  • Options
    Temp is normal and engine running fine. Can't get my head up under the belt with it running to see exactly where the drips are coming from but there is definitely water coming from up under there someplace. I'll take my snake camera with me when I get back to the boat on Tuesday.
    I guess my initial question should have been more clear, that is, besides the water pump/pump housing, and/or the hoses connected to it, is there anything else in that area that I need to check for leaks?
  • Options
    Sounds like a lot of water was in there ,every time I open that hatch my back says oh no don’t go down there again 
  • Options
    Is the boat fwc or raw water cooled? If fwc the only water on the starboard side is the pump and manifold.
  • Options
    @reneechris14 it's FWC. The drips I was seeing all seemed to be coming from down low on the front of the engine block.  Single engine.
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    I had a similar leak @Willhound.  Fix was a new raw water pump.  It was leaking around the pulley just drips, but enough to fill the bilge after time.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    I gave my mechanic a call this morning.
    I think I was getting confused. I had the raw (sea) water pump rebuilt last year. This leak appears to be from the standard GM water circulating pump up on the top front of the block. I'll be going for another look myself tomorrow since he can't get there until Wednesday but I've asked him to go ahead and order the pump on spec. From what I can see it's the original pump from 2000 and about 400 hours running time and for the $100 it's worth I want to have it on hand and will likely change it regardless. Something I could easily do myself, but I work all the rest of the week and have a 3 day trip planned for the weekend so I'm just going to have him do it. He hasn't seen the boat since spring anyway so it's a good chance to have him take a look around the engine compartment. I trust this guy completely. If he says it needs work, it does. Quite often he'll give me a heads up for future consideration. And a few times he's let me know that work I thought needed doing didn't need doing at all even though he could have made a buck out of it.
    He get's a Cuban cigar and a bottle of port from me from time to time... :D
  • Options
    skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Nice to have a mechanic you can trust
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Options
    It has been a huge help. He had his shop about 50' from my slip in a space he leased from the marina. Unfortunately they had a disagreement over the lease renewal this spring and he left the property. But at least they'll still let him come in to do work. Very old school. A handshake and cash goes a long way. The local Merc shop calls him in when they have something they can't figure out.
  • Options
    Well, it was definitely the pump. Had it changed and then heading out for a weekend run we had some excitement. About 20 minutes out I hear a squeal then a rattle then a thunk. Come off plane and shut her down and open the hatch to see that the bolts holding the pulley on had backed out causing the pulley to go sideways and the serpentine belt skipped off. One bolt had fallen completely out and the other 3 were hanging on by threads. Got lucky and was able to retrieve the missing bolt from the bilge and 10 minutes with the wrenches and we were back under way. Had a "discussion" with my mechanic. And judging by the look of the old pump I'm amazed it lasted as long as it did. 

• Options
    rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Was it your raw water pump he had worked on? This is your fresh water and likely he would not have pulled it apart right?
  • Options
    randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Boats keep ya busy. never dull. 
    Boat Name : 

• Options
    rasbury said:
    Was it your raw water pump he had worked on? This is your fresh water and likely he would not have pulled it apart right?
    That is correct. It was my raw/sea water pump we rebuilt last year. This was the circulating pump for the block. New pump installed for about $300 US. 
  • Options
    That's what I figured for sure, did not understand why you were upset with your mechanic...
  • Options
    rasbury said:
    That's what I figured for sure, did not understand why you were upset with your mechanic...
    Was upset with the mechanic because he didn't tighten down the bolts on the pulley causing the serpentine belt to come off while at speed. Luckily no damage but there I was in the middle of the lake in a 3 foot chop getting it back on, finding one of the bolts down in the bilge that had come right out, and having the Admiral freaking out on me while I'm doing the work.
  • Options
    It’s a little scary when you lose power with just one engine take off the captain cap and put on the mechanics hat ,then everyone on board says “ how did you know how to fix that “
  • Options
    Admiral was very happy that I had a mis-spent youth with many snowmobiles, motorcycles and cars. Know how to turn a wrench....just don't like doing it as much anymore. :D
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,558 mod
    Yes, I've unfortunately over the years had to do work on the boat in the middle of the bay. Not fun, but great when you get it working.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    pistolepistole Member Posts: 158 ✭✭
    Single engine equals exciting times
  • Options
    Ah, got ya....easy to do I suppose...starting on getting my motor back in...wonder how many things I forget!
  • Options
    This guy is usually spot on. He had cut his arm pretty bad on the edge of a hose clamp and had gone to get a bandage so as not to bleed all over the boat and by the time he got back he forgot that he had only finger tightened the bolts. I've certainly forgiven him and could see it happening.