Repowering a 312

rsteaguersteague Member Posts: 10
My first post, as i dont even own the boat yet!  I’m trying to buy a 2004 312 with the twin Volvo 5.0 Osi gas engines. The survey found the starboard one has a “ring pin?” problem that would require the engine to be pulled and overhauled. The present owner is going to comp the price of this from the selling price. 
My questions are these. 
1.  Should I walk away from this deal?  Omen of things to come with the other engine?
2. Go with buying a short block and adding all the present components to it. 
3. Go with a complete engine with new components. 
My inclination is to go with the new engine. Am I going to have any problems having engines of different years and hours if I do this?
I am getting the boat at a decent price, so have some room to put some money into her without going above book value. 
Really appreciate your input! Thanks. 
2005 Rinker 360 "Second Time Around"

Comments

• FDNY49FDNY49 Member Posts: 116 ✭✭
    If it has the XDP  drives run away from this deal!
  • rsteaguersteague Member Posts: 10
    I thought the bellows problem had been solved?
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @FDNY49 is giving you good advice. How many hours are on the boat? 312 is a nice size.
    Boat Name : 

390 hrs on the engines. Port engine checked out fine, starboard has the knocking sound. 
    Not many hours, they must not have ever changed the oil. Is the rest of the boat in good condition? If it has those XDP drives, I think it is 11 to 12k to change them out. Someone correct me, if I'm wrong.  Do a search on these, it's not just the bellows, it is a composite drive, major problems. 
    Boat Name : 

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Unless it was a bargain basement deal I'd walk away....maybe run. There are enough good Rinkers out there to avoid the potential huge headaches from this deal. IMO when a boat has this kind of "wear" it was neglected or even abused - think beater.

To put it in perspective you are thinking of purchasing a boat with 5.0s (small engines),  volvo drives :-(    .....and one engine might have to be R&R'd right from the get go. Naaaaah! Run away!
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If she has the XDP drives, lowball the offer. Volvo extended the replacement program until the end of the year. 
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
    It turned out that one of the engines needed to be rebuilt, so after hearing everyone's advice to run away from the XDP drives, it was easy to reject this vessel.  I have now made an offer on a 2005 360.  Nice boat, engine hours are 650, so they're getting up there, but has been well maintained and in fresh water.  Doing a sea trial on Sunday, and if the first mate likes the boat, will get the survey and keep our fingers crossed!! 
    Thanks for everyone's input, kept me from possibly buying a lemon!!
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    650 is not that many hours
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
    much better boat, I like your wife's attitude. 
    Boat Name : 

• F1100F1100 Member Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    650 is nothing on a big 8
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I agree, 650 hrs is fine.  I hit over 700 hrs on my boat this weekend and I don't even think they are near 25% life yet!  The 360 is a nice boat!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express