Options

What was this hole for ?

ErocoEroco Member Posts: 6
Hi I recently bought a 2006 Rinker Captiva .. I have been looking over it seeing different things that need repaired and replaced... I have found this hole behind the drivers seat under the cushion ..anyone know what was there before ?

Thanks

Comments

• Options
    Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    That looks like a courtesy light. Seems odd that it was removed.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • Options
    Possible  .. but its in the storage compartment under cushion but i did not see one on the other side ..
  • Options
    raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,459 admin
    Try putting a meter on the wires and turn on the switches one at a time and see what powers up the wires. 
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • Options
    zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I don’t see any screw holes
    hmm

• Options
    JoeStangJoeStang Member Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭✭
    Thank god I wasnt the first to reply to that thread topic. I wouldve replied with visual aids. LOL
    2013 276 Cuddy ~ 350 MAG / B3
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,560 mod
    JoeStang said:
    Thank god I wasnt the first to reply to that thread topic. I wouldve replied with visual aids. LOL

Thank God there was a picture with the topic.  The description can leave you wondering! :)

on topic, I agree with Raybo.  Connect a meter and see what powers it.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That plug leads me to believe it's a courtesy light hole ... same connectors on my courtesy lights. There wouldn't be any screw holes because there's a seating ring that screws in from the back.  But yes, the smartest thing to do is find out which switch makes it live.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"

• Options
    LaReaLaRea Member, Moderator Posts: 7,553 mod
    What's the diameter?  Looks too big for a courtesy light.  Maybe it's just an access hole that somebody cut so they could reach something.  
  • Options
    WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 2018
    Is that pic taken looking up at the underside of the seat? My bet was a courtesy light for the storage area that was an option but never installed. But a light only makes sense if it's at the top of the storage area, not the bottom or else the stuff in there would cover it. As other's said, meter it.
    Edit: as evidenced by the connector sitting against the moulding, the pic was taken looking down. Unless one of those new "anti-gravity" wire harnesses....
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270 (Sold)
    2018 Cherokee 39RL Land Yacht (Sorry...)
  • Options
    StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    I was looking at the shards of fiberglass/plastic around the hole.  It seems recently (as compared to when the boat was built) done.  Imagine only the PO would know what it was for.  

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Options
    Thanks for all the answers and will get a meter on it shortly.. so I guess then  its not a standard hole .. :) and i did ask the PO he said it was there when he got it . 
  • Options
    Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    We don't have our 2007 246 anymore, but I think ours had a similar hole in the storage tub. I think it's access for the wire run. Ours was hooked up to an LED cockpit light, located close to the floor, er, deck, I mean.
  • Options
    MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    LaRea said:
    What's the diameter?  Looks too big for a courtesy light.  Maybe it's just an access hole that somebody cut so they could reach something.  

I was thinking the same, that the hole looked big, but that connector gives it away. He might have put the bigger ITC LED light in it ... it looks about that size (the same lights as the radar arch).

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"