Looking at buying a 342.

I am currently negotiating on a 2003 Rinker 342. The boat has mid 500 hrs on the engines and generator. Boat has been well taken car of and serviced regularly. it has had both Bravo 3 out-drives replaced last year. Owner is very picky and had an issue with one and replaced both at the same time.
  I have a Silverton  271 Express currently and we are looking for a bigger boat and this one seems to have everything on our wish list.
  Only thing I have found issue is that the Bimini forward of the arch, the zippers are pulled apart in the corners where the top curves. Is this a common problem? The current owner is the second owner and has had this boat for 7 years. He has all the manuals, documentation on all service work, all canvas and enclosures that it came with.  I think this is the boat for us.  We are going to take another look and make a final offer this weekend. So hopefully we will be Rinker owners soon. 

Any info on what are common issues are, if any, that we should look for on the 342 would be helpful.  

ALL IN AGAIN, 410 FV Twin 8.1 H/O MPI, V-Drives , 

Comments

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    We've had our 342 for 4 seasons.  Took her a a nice 860 mile trip last year around Lake Huron.  It handled the bad water well and is roomy and comfy enough that our 16 days on the boat didn't feel cramped.

As for the canvas.  Canvas wears out and has to be replaced now and then.  There are a few sources for replacements.

Good luck with your purchase and welcome aboard the forum.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

• Handymans342Handymans342 Member Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zippers dry rot too
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod

The 342 is definitely one of the best boats for its size.  (Gotta love that full shower)  I agree on getting a survey.  Canvas is one of those things that just goes bad over time, due to sun and weathering (I'm sure you know), so no concerns there.  With both drives replaced, that is a really good start.  Do you know if the transom assemblies were replaced?  That can be an expensive bill and tends to need done with older boats.

Good luck!  You found a great forum for all your Rinker questions! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, there's a ton of 342 expertise on this forum.  One problem to look for is leaks from hatches or rub rails; you'd find them from water stains, especially in the carpet near and under the mid-berth.  Also check for low hours on the generator.  Kohler gennys become unreliable unless they get regular exercise, so it would be best if your genny has at least 100 hours.  
  • davidbrooksdavidbrooks Member Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭✭
    I have the same 342 as you are looking at.  Feel free to DM me if you have any specific questions.  As to the zipper.  That is an easy replacement at any canvas shop.  Maybe $100 max to replace the zippers.  Having the outdrives replaced at 500 hrs is perfect.  That will save you for several years. Mine used to sit on a lift and the marina i keep it at didn't have a lift that size.  So there were a few things i had to do after the boat had been in the water. Definitely get the survey.  
    It's 5 O'Clock Somewhere!
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great boat, awesome on the new drives. Drives should last a heck of a long time but at $8k a piece it sure doesnt hurt to have the piece of mind of new ones! As said above the zipper issue is minimal, cheap repair compared to both and it would be under $1k to just replace those canvas pieces anyway. We love our 342, as said above its big for a 34 footer and we love the separate shower. Best of luck and let us know of any questions! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Good luck, sounds like a hood find...what kind of price?
  • johnepjohnep Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
    edited October 2018
    I recently bought a 2005 342.  I replaced my enclosure so I would say its normal wear and tear.  My only gripe is the window height and the solid cabin door.  My last boat was a Bayliner 2855, it has windows at just above the dock height and a dark but, see thru cabin door.  These let both light and visibility in yet being tinted kept it private.  I miss that a lot.  The 342 is a good boat but lacks in certain areas. Best of luck with your choice!
    Post edited by johnep on
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Ok zav.....good
  • MojosBoatMojosBoat Member Posts: 96 ✭✭
    Thanks for all the helpful comments. Hoping the weather will clear this weekend so we can take it out  It was raining the last time we looked at it  My offer is dependent upon a trial run on it  
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    Hey I am from the d man
    we got few hood boats floating around lol
  • cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Nice Mojo! Just signed the closing docs today on a 2002 342. Hopefully moving it next Friday. 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Congratulations the 342 is a great boat......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    If the deal goes through, looks I will be going through winter with 2 boats. The marina has another slip ( for a fee of course ) for my Silverton which has been for sale a couple months.  It is a great boat but with kids and grand kids we need something bigger. The 342 is exactly what we need. After owing our boat we had a list of what we wanted and the 342 hits it all and then some. I will keep you posted on the progress.  
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @MojosBoat , what’s the length and year of your Silverton? 
    2008 330EC
    Sounds like a nice boat. My budget has no room for our 270 and can only pine for a larger boat. If I ever hit that lottery...party on my 50' something and airplane tickets for al to celebrate!
    edited October 2018
    @aero3113 My Silverton is 28' 30 OAL but its only 8.5' wide. It a real nice boat just need something bigger. 
    Looks like it will be the end of this week before final deal on the 342 either way. We are scheduled to take it out Friday afternoon for a test run weather permitting.  We were not able to get it done this weekend. 
    Well took the 342 out for a test today. Made the final deal. $50K and delivery to our lake included.  Can't wait to get it.   I will have all winter to get accustomed to driving and docking the boat with the twin drives before busy boat season starts. I think it was a good deal from all the research I did. This bait had been maticulasly maintained. Has all records and recipes.  I will post pics when we get it on our dock  Very excited about getting it  
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Congrats Mojos!  it will be an exciting winter!  Make sure to post some pictures after you get her!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Welcome to the 342 club.  :)

• raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    You will love the 342. Congratulations......
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    Thanks everyone, we are super excited. I will post some pics as soon as I get her. Delivery all depends on the current owner and weather since he is arranging the delivery. We are hoping for this coming Sunday. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,777 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2018
     Congratulations !! Good luck with it.
    2008 330EC
    Thank you. We love it. 
  • cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    Very nice Mojo!
    cruising on 6. tw0s
    Looks good docked there.

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sweet! Congratulations. Just a little jealous, hoping my next boat will be a 342. Amazing how much more they fit in with 7 extra feet in length and 2 feet in width from a 270.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270