Easy Up Swim Handles

WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
Wondering if anyone has experience with mounting or using these? Any input good or bad?
http://www.easyupswimhandles.com/
in particular the "P" shape handles.
We will likely be adding a custom swim platform to our 2000 FV270 this year and need an option to both aid in boarding from the dock and also when climbing out of the water. Admiral sometimes has balance issues and a bad back so likes to have something sturdy to hang on to when boarding and disembarking.
In particular, I'm wondering if the handles "lock" into the orientation they are placed, or will they swing from side to side, i.e. swivel?
As far as the platform, I realize these guys are affiliated with Swimplatforms.com but I have a more local option that I will likely use for the platform. When you take into account exchange and shipping the cost of the platform from there gets crazy so I'd look at adding these myself.
"Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270

Comments

• Glassguy54Glassguy54 Member Posts: 588 ✭✭✭
    On their video, those appendages are a sight to behold. The swim handles are nice too.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah. Purely for research purposes I've watched the videos a couple of dozen times or so. .. :p
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For $250 and something like that climbs in my boat, it's worth it.
    Boat Name : 

Yeah....would cost you more than that though. Cost you your boat, house, furniture and half your pension!
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can't add nuttin....
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2019
    Either one would probably kill you @randy56

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Well, I'm happy you guys are enjoying the video's.  :pensive:
    Now if only I could get some feedback on the product. While searching it I came across the patent documents showing it was applied for in 2010/11 and only finally granted in 2015, so relatively new. It appears the original idea stemmed from swimming pool ladders and rails. Simple really, a boater saw a need for a product that didn't exist and was able to take it to production. Anybody else have any bright ideas they can retire on?
    Image result for grab handles on swim platformDock Grab HandleImage result for grab handles on swim platformImage result for grab handles on swim platformThe one you found looks the best to me because it is removable. 
    Boat Name : 

I wasn't thrilled with the concept of dropping into the mounts on the swim platform, I figure over time movement etc may loosen them up. And no doubt some idiot would pull one out and drop into the water. Plus for me the fact it's an open end curve I can guaranty I'd hit my big boof head on it every time I used it.

I have one like the Anglesey units mounted at the stern like most have as a grab handle just above the platform, my friends Bayliner has nothing and we were looking at something like mine too as there needs to be a grab handle. For us this works but if your admiral has mobility issues it sounds like you'll need something else.

I suggest a 4 rung ladder too for that extra depth first step, mine is 3 that for the 5'2" admiral can be a stretch and trying to find one that will fit folded in the ladder store is a challenge. If you are doing a new and custom platform your options are pretty well open.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Looking at the patent drawings I can see that there is a flange that mounts under the platform that "sandwiches" the drop in mount tight to the platform. I wondered about long term stress also, but I wouldn't leave them in underway, it's more for off and on at the slip, and once in a while on the water. The "U" shaped ones with double mounts are likely sturdier, but I like that you can pass by the "P" shape ones on the platform while mounted. Anything solid mounted doesn't work for me as it is either in the way, or if mounted too close to the transom, too far to stretch to reach. The platform we are looking at adding will extend almost 3 feet. I've e-mailed the vendor with some questions, they are closed until next week so will see what kind of answers I get.
    I would want to keep anything that could become a trip hazard off of the platform, i.e. fixed grab handles, etc.
    I agree, mine not on the platform but the ledge above it.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    BTW in the product video, Swimsuit Model #1 has a Wardrobe Malfunction at 1:58.  The reaction of Swimsuit Model #2 is kinda funny.

Veering back on-topic ... good point about dropping the handles overboard.  Have you considered just tying a rope to use as a handhold when re-boarding the swim platform?  
  • 04FV270riverrat04FV270riverrat Member Posts: 268 ✭✭✭
    randy56 said:
    There are some good ones on there. I hate my raised platform and only 3 step ladder. 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    All members quietly going back to 1:58
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • Dude_HimselfDude_Himself Member Posts: 596 ✭✭✭
    I bought 12, my boat looks like something out of water world and not a single bikini-clad woman has joined me.
    Doesn't seem like anyone has used, or seen anyone around with these handles.
    I agree the dropping overboard factor is a consideration, but most of the places I can think to use them are shallow and the fact that they are removable just leaving a little flush mount is a plus for me. They should easily store under the rear seat. Might also consider davits in future, and this system would allow me to still do that.
    Toronto Boat Show is in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll see something there but if I go ahead in the spring with the platform, I've pretty much convinced myself I need these too and can report back.
    One could make a styrofoam donut to slide on the handle that would make it float if dropped in the drink.
  • cls10105cls10105 Member Posts: 352 ✭✭
    I watched the video. Those are some really nice handles. I would like to put my hands on a set of them. 
    cruising on 6. tw0s
  • machboatmachboat Member Posts: 15 ✭✭
    I saw someplace where they designed these back in 2011 and patented them in 2015. Has any one had a couple years of experience with them? How do they hold up. I am think about putting them on the extended swim platform on my 2006 270 Fiesta Vee but if memory serves me the bottom of the swim platform is an irregular / angled surface. How do the mounting brackets accommodate that? Momma has replacement knees and these look like just the ticket.
    I've only had mine this season but so far we love them. Same reason, I have bad knees and the Admiral a bad hip but even our very able daughter loves them. I'm 6'2 about 245 lbs and I can haul my carcass out with ease and no movement on the handles.
    They use a socket with collar on top and a matching collar underneath. I think as long as you drill down thru the platform at 90 degrees you'd be ok.
    Unfortunately I don't have a pic from underneath but this is what they look like mounted on my platform. They lock into place so I've never removed them from time of mounting but very easy to so if you want to.

• PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Wow, you guys from canuckastan know how to deck out a swim platform!  Very clean and comfortable looking set up!  
    Thanks  :p
    Yeah, that big a$$ platform has been awesome! Best addition ever to the boat and zero effect on handling or getting on plane. Had to watch backing into the slip at first but all good now. Two deck chairs and a small table and still room for others to stand or walk by.
    Now what would be really sharp would be add a custom SS rail around the edge of the platform. Protect from damage to the platform and serve as a grab handle when first getting on the ladder and making the transition up to the swim handles.
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now what would be really sharp would be add a custom SS rail around the edge of the platform. Protect from damage to the platform and serve as a grab handle when first getting on the ladder and making the transition up to the swim handles.
    I think someone on the forum did that recently.
    2008 330EC
    It was an option that was discussed but I didn't like the look and didn't want to provide anyone (including me) the opportunity to have the stupid urge to the something off on it. The handles curve down enough that they are easily grabbed even when standing on bottom. 
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    I personally think the only addition that Willhound could add to this swim platform to improve it other than an obvious yeti cooler is Sidney Crosby with another day with the Stanley Cup.  Last season i would have said Phil, the cup and 2 dozen hot dogs but im American and that's hockey to us. 
     :D I work at a building supply/hardware that sells Yeti coolers but even with my discount the big one is $500 CDN. Just can't justify it. A buddy says his keeps beer cold for 4 days. I called him a liar.....he's never had a case of beer last past 2 days so how would he know!