HELP please

hello all, pretty new to the forum, have made a few posts.. I bought a Rinker 192 captiva late last season.. just used several times, love the boat.. I’ve been tinkering with I all winter, the other day I noticed.. in the storage compartment under the rear seat there is a bulge in the liner.. some spots I step on It and It bends in or pops flat.. others I.T feels like something is underneath.. what can this be? Is this potentially rot or foam expanding? I’m young and brand new to boating didn’t know rot existed when I was looking for this but I know the boat was in excellent condition compared to most I looked at. Sorry if I’m not being articulate, early and I’m rushing for work and this was keeping me up at night.

Comments

• strictlybliznesstrictlybliznes Member Posts: 46
    I guess I just don’t know how concerned I should really be, I just sunk a lot of money into the boat on upgrades. Swim platform.. little grill etc is there a chance it’s nothing? ANyone know what exactly is under the storage box liner? 
  • ruggeroleruggerole Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

Is it delaminating?

• StodgeStodge Member Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭✭
    When you say liner, do you mean something like carpet?  Or is it just raw fiberglass inside there.  It's tough to tell from the picture.

If there is a fabric liner in the storage area it could just be that the glue has let go over time.  If it's fiberglass you might want to have someone who does fiberglass work take a look at it.  

With luck it's just cosmetic.

2002 FV 342 on Lake St. Clair - Past Commodore SHC - Vessel Examiner USCGAUX

ruggerole said:

Is it delaminating?

Not entirely sure what you mean by that, the entire compartment is lined with a plastic and It doesn’t look like it’s removable, appears that something underneath the plastic liner is beginning to push up on it, I mean it may be nothing idk... not sure what could be under there, and I rather not cut a hole in it I wouldn’t be able to patch that back up 
    Stodge said:
    When you say liner, do you mean something like carpet?  Or is it just raw fiberglass inside there.  It's tough to tell from the picture.

If there is a fabric liner in the storage area it could just be that the glue has let go over time.  If it's fiberglass you might want to have someone who does fiberglass work take a look at it.  

With luck it's just cosmetic.

I thought that when I first saw it.. and hope you’re right... the liner has no fabric the compartment is lined entirely with plastic and I’m not sure what’s underneath it I can’t remove the liner 
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    not the greatest option, but cut a section of that liner where you see the bulge to look at what's going on underneath it.
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, that's about the only option if you want to see what is going on....you can always glue it back down and seal it.....it could be getting wet and if it is foamed backed or other than just the vinyl maybe coming loose and swelling....but if so the water is getting there from somewhere that should be resolved...is there any damage or areas where it is pulled up water could be getting underneath it?
  • aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,775 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I zoom in on your pic, it looks like a plastic liner. It’s possible the liner isn’t flat in that spot and is warped.
    2008 330EC
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    It sounds like you are talking about inside the storage area, under the cushions (what the paddle is sitting on in the picture).  That is just a plastic flooring, with a gap underneath it typically.  You should have nothing to worry about, but I wouldn't typically "step" in there, not sure it is made to handle that kind of weight in one spot (maybe it's ok, but that's my opinion).  Not sure of your layout, but I know the larger cruisers, you can usually see this by going thru where the ice maker or cockpit fridge is.  Maybe you have somewhere that you can access to look at the area underneath of that.  Just rereading, it sounds like you are talking about your rear seat.  Maybe there is access in engine room?

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

rasbury said:
    Well, that's about the only option if you want to see what is going on....you can always glue it back down and seal it.....it could be getting wet and if it is foamed backed or other than just the vinyl maybe coming loose and swelling....but if so the water is getting there from somewhere that should be resolved...is there any damage or areas where it is pulled up water could be getting underneath it?
    There is a drain hole or atleast I think that’s what it is in that compartment. Which is confusing me more.. water should be going straight to bilge if I’m not mistaken.. not sure if this can have something to do with it.. but I left a “moist” pull tube in there since August.. I just pulled it out, and noticed but I can’t say if it was like that since I have bought it I never even checked 
    ^ also I’m from jersey so possible that moist tube froze several times
    Dream_Inn said:
    It sounds like you are talking about inside the storage area, under the cushions (what the paddle is sitting on in the picture).  That is just a plastic flooring, with a gap underneath it typically.  You should have nothing to worry about, but I wouldn't typically "step" in there, not sure it is made to handle that kind of weight in one spot (maybe it's ok, but that's my opinion).  Not sure of your layout, but I know the larger cruisers, you can usually see this by going thru where the ice maker or cockpit fridge is.  Maybe you have somewhere that you can access to look at the area underneath of that.  Just rereading, it sounds like you are talking about your rear seat.  Maybe there is access in engine room?

yes you are exactly correct! thats the area I'm referring to, a majority of the "bulge" is how you'd expect plastic liner to react, you push it down it pops back up... however there is one area where it feels as if there is something under there.. im not even sure what would typically be under one of these liners..fiberglass? wood? flotation foam? i think thats why I'm stressing myself out, doesn't help that im 22 and potentially over extended myself into a boat +expensive goodies for it I have yet to even put on (rinker factory swimplatform) and if it turns out to be serious issue all a waste.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    Its a "tub"........
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
    boat is currently shrink wrapped.. however taking off shortly as im getting the boat vinyl wrapped by a buddy (again making this boat exactly how i want and plan to keep for a while, so thats why im scared) either way ill see if i lift the engine sundpad hatch if i can see under from there
    raybo3 said:
    Its a "tub"........
    im assuming that means a good thing for me? please excuse my ignorance, what would typically be under these tubs
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,550 mod
    raybo3 said:
    Its a "tub"........
    im assuming that means a good thing for me? please excuse my ignorance, what would typically be under these tubs

Yes, it's a good thing.  It does not typically rest on anything underneath.  Only thing that is a very small concern is to not let it contain enough water to drain thru the hole onto the wood underneath.  As far as it bowing, definitely no big deal at all.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    It is just a plastic tub for the storage area. Under most of it is just going to be space between the tub and the hull. The spot that has some support may be over a stringer or could be over a corner of the fuel tank or some other part of the boat. I would not be at all concerned by that in and of itself.

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

Thank you all, I am no longer as concerned as I was, only thing that can possibly make me more at ease is if a 192 owner would chime in ( :smile:
    also hope i did not damage anything by stepping on it, didn't physically stand in there but pushed down with my feet.
  • raybo3raybo3 Administrator Posts: 5,455 admin
    raybo3 said:
    Its a "tub"........
    Its not a bad thing.....lol Seriously not worries. Its just a "tub" that is use for storage. It just sits in there on top of the fiberglass deck.  
    2002 342 Fiesta Vee PC Point Of Pines YC Revere MA. popyc.org     raybo3@live.com
  • nhsdnhsd Member Posts: 182 ✭✭✭
    Thank you all, I am no longer as concerned as I was, only thing that can possibly make me more at ease is if a 192 owner would chime in ( :smile:
    My 212 is just a slightly longer version of a 192 (if a similar year)....

Dave

2002 Captiva 212, 5.0 220 hp, Alpha 1, 1.62 gears

Moon Township, PA - boating in the Ohio River

• nighthawk73nighthawk73 Member Posts: 6
    On my 05 212 I have a similar bulge in the center ski locker. One was from an anchor the previous owner didnt tie off in the anchor locker in the bow and it slid down and got jammed. The other is I assume a rope the got jammed up at the back aswell.
    On my 05 212 I have a similar bulge in the center ski locker. One was from an anchor the previous owner didnt tie off in the anchor locker in the bow and it slid down and got jammed. The other is I assume a rope the got jammed up at the back aswell.
    Ahh didn’t even think of that, very possible something got Jamed under there.. 
    raybo3 said:
    raybo3 said:
    Its a "tub"........
    Its not a bad thing.....lol Seriously not worries. Its just a "tub" that is use for storage. It just sits in there on top of the fiberglass deck.  
    Ok makes sense, thank you, but the thing is kind of hard to explain, there’s almost a bump in the middle of it. certain areas I press down and I hit what I believe is the fiberglass floor, one part seems to have either a bulge in the fiber glass growing up pushing up against the liner box (is this possible?) or something between the liner box and floor.. idk I may just cut a slit in the liner to clear It up and hopefully peace of mind 
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    Where are you and is it really cold now? If so possibly the bulge is just some cold weather contraction?

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

Ok so I have decided to cut some slits in it I first cut directly above the “bulge I been talking about.. this is what I saw 
    then I cut a slit below the bulge and saw this, a foamy substance that wasn’t leaving residue on the blade I was usin as well as my fingers

No idea what either can be.. first is not wood.. feels more like a plastic with a coating.. second Is some kind of foam.. neither is wet at all as far as I can tell 
  • randy56randy56 Member Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably debris left from build. try not whittle finger next time. 
    Boat Name : 

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,502 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Now make sure you seal that cut in the plastic floor so it's water-tight.  You don't want water getting in there.