2002 Fiesta Vee swim platform

Hi If any one else has one of the dreaded too low dragging swim platforms and can’t find any guidance on modifications I have just finished upgrading mine... I was going to just let it be since it’s been that way for all this time but unfortunately there was bad disbonding and the core was needing replacement. 

Comments

• reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What did you do for an up grade??
    News an  pics at 11
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • skennellyskennelly Member Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭✭
    Lol weird post I have to say
    2002 - 270FV Mag 350 B3
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like the platform is coming apart, that's all .dragging in the water can't be good. Have you contacted rinker? Granted they are not going to pay for a fix but they might have byour solution...
  • ricklaviolettericklaviolette Member Posts: 19
    Ok so they are in no real order... but I basically wanted to put them on here so if someone is looking to solve the same problem they can get an idea. I read on here about the first models that came out in 02 or so had the swim platform mounted low so the bottom was actually touching the water causing a water dam slowing the hole shot. So what I ended up doing is raising the platform about 7 inches above the water line( to where Rinker started putting them later) I had to modify  the forward mounting  structure to slow it to be bolted to the transom. 
  • rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice work and I'm sure will be helpful to those with this problem. That looks like a lot of work but better than new!
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice work and a lot of it. You definitely put some time in to that project. The front part came out great.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    Very nice!  Thanks for all the pictures.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• andydandyd Member Posts: 849 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing your DIY work project. I wish I could fit my tractor in the garage!
    Andy
  • SeabuttSeabutt Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    Great job, I had thought about doing the exact same thing to mine as Ive been doing Fiberglass work most of my life. We will need to talk this winter. Its gonna be my off season project this winter now Ive seen your pictures. Thanks for them. I put a new gas tank in my 2002 FV270 .Alot of work and will post pictures on it soon.
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    How deep are those stingers? It looks like you have enough space in the voids to put a small ice chest for a case of cold ones or a bait live well!  Ive seen lesser built platforms hang a small kicker motor for trolling.  

Picture this, sitting on your rinker in Florida bay. Sunset  on the horizon.  Fold out chair on the platform, ice and beer in one compartment, fresh bait in the other.  Do you really care if the snapper are bitting?  

ricklaviolette ,do you have any pictures of it back on the boat. Did you use some stainless struts under neath it going back to the transom? 
    Seabutt said:
    ricklaviolette ,do you have any pictures of it back on the boat. Did you use some stainless struts under neath it going back to the transom? 
    This is allI have right now, I can take some more pictures of attachment points when I pull it out of the water if you’d like. If you are considering raising your platform I would highly recommend it for the performance aspect, I cut my hole shot in more than half! It’s almost like adding 50 horsepower to the engine no more dragging water. 
    I used some .060 wall thickness 1 inch diameter stainless steel tubing going down to the transom for supports. 
    Seabutt said:
    Great job, I had thought about doing the exact same thing to mine as Ive been doing Fiberglass work most of my life. We will need to talk this winter. Its gonna be my off season project this winter now Ive seen your pictures. Thanks for them. I put a new gas tank in my 2002 FV270 .Alot of work and will post pictures on it soon.
    I’d like to see the gas tank pictures, I know it’s only a matter of time before I have an issue. Did your tank corrode out?
    yeah, it started leaking last winter during Rock fish season. pulled it out back in early April. Will send more pictures very soon. Do you have a generator, I do and had to move it out the way to cut the engine room side out to get it out. Will be sending picture soon and talking more about the swim platform.
    Oh yeah, thanks for the finished pictures. Will definitely be doing mine now I've seen yours.
    Some demo pictures. Will send the install one soon. It came out through the cabin with out having to remove the steps too
  • earl1z19earl1z19 Member Posts: 331 ✭✭✭
    Its interesting to see the giant voids in the resin that look like they came from the factory.
    Yeah, there were some big ones. Poor workmanship in that area. Guess they think no one would see it. lol. I got it back to a good smooth surface before gel coating the area
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Wasnt the oem fiberglass all polyester resin? Hand laid/sprayed?  No idea how much how much fiberglass manufacturing has changed since the 60s and 70s but voids are common. Polyester doesn't have near the chemical bonding ability of epoxy resin to wood. It also cures stupid fast. So when production stops for the day or even for lunch break during laying of matt/fiberglass it really needs sanding and prep before laying down more.

In some of the sailboats of the 60s and 70s a production boat could vary in weight by as much as 20% depending on who layed it or who was having a bad day. Some companies had more Friday boats than others.
  • DanalinaDanalina Member Posts: 5
    Seabutt said:
    Yeah, there were some big ones. Poor workmanship in that area. Guess they think no one would see it. lol. I got it back to a good smooth surface before gel coating the area

Seabutt, was your boat stored in the water or on a trailer/lift?  Was the the bilge kept dry?  It looks like the tank was resting directly on the fiberglass, did you install those pieces of wood to raise the tank and create an air gap?

I'm looking at making an offer on a  freshwater only 2005 270 FV, but I will use it 100% in salt.

It's been 20 years since I sold my 97 FV 266, really loved that boat but would be nervous buying something with a tank designed like how your pictures show.  With wood transom and stringers, and that fuel tank design sitting right on the fiberglass with no air gap, should I be worried?
    Danalina, Sorry it took so long to get back on here. yes the tank was sitting directly on the fiberglass. The bars I put under the new one were plastic. I do plastic fabrication and had plenty to choose from. I'm going to post the install pictures soon. Oh its salt water keep it in a slip and haul it out for the year and regular maintenance. Middle cheasapeake Bay