Reverse polarity

wielezynskiwielezynski Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
I get reverse polarity on my electrical panel from the A/C when plugged in at the dock on the starboard side after a while, but it works fine when i am plugged on the port side...
Is my  outlet on the side of the boat bad?
rinker 300 2006

Comments

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,503 ✭✭✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding preachy, ya gotta respect the danger associated with shore power cords. 

Give those shore power inlet fixtures a thorough inspection.  From the outside, look for any hint of corrosion, discoloration, scorching or heat damage.  Ditto from the inside, even if you have to take apart some cabinetry to reach them.  If anything looks even a little bit fishy, replace the fixtures.  Don't take any chances.  It's not a difficult job to replace them.  

Your shore power cords should also receive the same scrutiny at both ends.  

Last thing, review your practices for attaching and detaching shore power cables.  Always turn off the breaker before making or breaking a connection.  
  • IanIan Member Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭✭
    And disconnect shore first then boat. That way a cord accidentally dropped in the water isn’t a live one.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    It could be the source or the splitter 
    it’s best to run two separate cables 
  • TonyG13TonyG13 Member Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭✭
    icoultha said:
    And disconnect shore first then boat. That way a cord accidentally dropped in the water isn’t a live one.
    Well said. And reconnect the exact opposite way: Boat first, then plug into shore.
  • wielezynskiwielezynski Member Posts: 13 ✭✭
    T
    hanks for your info..

• rmrstlmormrstlmo Member Posts: 222 ✭✭✭
    I had reverse polarity on my main circuit earlier this season.  It would only do it when plugged in to shore power.  Generator power was fine.  After much diagnosis, I tracked it down to a plug/receptacle that was mid way between the main receptacle on the side of the boat and the panel.  It must have been used as a manufacturing break or something.  There isn't any other reason I could think of to have a plug in the middle of what should be a direct line from the side of the boat to the panel.  On my 340 is was located in the mid berth above the A/C unit.  Good luck!

Ray

2006 390

Previous 2000 340