SeaDek REAPPLY

jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
Couple years ago I put down SeaDek through the cockpit and swim platform. This is my four season with it. Cockpit still looks new but for some reason this year all three large pieces on my swim platform are coming up. I ordered a can of the 3M spray adhesive of Amazon to be delivered this week. Just wondering if anyone else has had to reapply there stick flooring and if they have any tips. My plan is to take one side of the piece up at a time and clean the floor with acetone or 409. Dry thoroughly and then reapply but just curious if anyone has a different approach. Thanks in advance!
Boat Name: Knot A Worry
2007 280 Rinker Express 6.2L B3

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have had no issues with mine. 3+ years on my swim platform. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • DanD2DanD2 Member Posts: 847 ✭✭✭
    I'm going on 5 years for mine and I've got a couple of bubbles where it is no linger sticking and a spot in the middle seam that is starting to lift. Was going to try the Gorilla spray glue on the seam. Not sure what to do for the bubbles.
    No longer a boat owner.....previous boat - 2005 Rinker Fiesta Vee 342
  • DirtythirtyDirtythirty Member Posts: 393 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    no issues with mine and on my 4th year...the key to a good application is to thoroughly wipe down the surface with acetone.  Then let the surface fully dry.  I'm not so sure about the 409.  It's a great cleaner...but it leaves a residue.
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @DanD2 that is exactly how mine started. Right in the middle of the piece and then has worked itself all the way out to the edges. 
  • jme097jme097 Member Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭
    @Dirtythirty the SeaDek instructions tell you to clean it with the ammonia based 409 cleaner I believe. Its been a couple years. 
  • diggin2day1diggin2day1 Member Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭✭
    6th year on mine without issues. 
  • Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jme097 , I wonder if it isn't sticking because of the type of antiskid that we have on our platforms. All of the older boats have the sand in the gelcoat for grip and we have the diamond pattern. That might make a difference.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • MarkBMarkB Member Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭✭✭
    jme097 said:
    Couple years ago I put down SeaDek through the cockpit and swim platform. This is my four season with it. Cockpit still looks new but for some reason this year all three large pieces on my swim platform are coming up. I ordered a can of the 3M spray adhesive of Amazon to be delivered this week. Just wondering if anyone else has had to reapply there stick flooring and if they have any tips. My plan is to take one side of the piece up at a time and clean the floor with acetone or 409. Dry thoroughly and then reapply but just curious if anyone has a different approach. Thanks in advance!

Did you acetone wash before you applied?  It could be a coat of wax sitting on that swim deck that caused it to not adhere as well to the gelcoat.

Boat Name: King Kong

"Boat + Water = Fun"