Boat won’t start

ViggyViggy Member Posts: 8
Drove out to the lake. Shut engines down to relax. When I went to fire up the port engine....nothing. Wiggled the throttle for the neutral switch. No luck. Left it for awhile and it started right up. Came back home and docked it. Tried the engine again and no luck.

Comments

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe a bad ground? You have a lot of trouble shooting to do, failing battery? Others will chime in with a systomatic approach to track it down....
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    maybe starter is starting to go next time try to tap it with a hammer when it happens or like raz said ground 
    That happened when we first got out boat...slow start or no start...and would even just die.....manual has a procedure for checking the starter but not knowing anything about your boat start with the basics like what bolts are the batteries showing? Check power to the breaker to the top of the motor....I'd be suspect of the starter. I had mine rebuilt for 125 bucks and that was four years ago...they are not cheap to replace- nor fun either!
  • ViggyViggy Member Posts: 8
    Ok. a little more information. First. It is a 05 Rinker Fiesta Vee 300 with 140 hrs. I am quite confident that the batteries and starter are ok. It appears that once the engines are cooled down that it starts up fine. Started every time. Once it was warm, I had nothing. No clicking of the solenoid or anything.
    So both motors have the same symptom? That would sound electrical ....I'm sure others will chime in- there on their boats and will get to you with suggestions...
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is a slave solenoid on top of the intake next time it does not start put a test light to it. Maybe when warm it has no connection. Cheapest part on the boat.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • ViggyViggy Member Posts: 8
    Ok...so I talked to a boat mechanic friend of mine and he suggested the engine wiring connection at the rear of the motor. I disconnected it to look for corrosion but was clean. When I reconnected the harness it has worked great ever since. Thanks for all the help.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great easy and cheap fix!
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)