Replacing cleats

luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
My 2006 FV 270 cleats are a little smaller than those in the boats I raft up with, so their lines will not wrap around mine. The cleat in my anchor locker is too small for my anchor line too. I can fit I think 5/8ths lines only. My question is this: has anyone replaced their cleats on a 270?  I haven’t looked yet, but I’m not sure if there is access to the back of them to get to the bolts.  

Comments

• Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should need 1/2” lines at most for a 270. 5/8” is pretty beefy and have little stretch for the weight of your boat. I use 1/2” on my 342 for reference. 

Replacing the cleats would be a huge project I suspect. Fastener holes not matching being the biggie. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Member Posts: 501 ✭✭✭
    That’s what I was thinking Diamond.  My lines in retrospect I think are 1/2 inch but my buddies bigger boats are 5/8ths. My anchor line is too thick for the cleats on the bow and in the anchor locker. Poor design to not make the anchor clear big enough for the line 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    I use 5/8", but for raft-ups I usually use 1/2" to get a tight "bond" with the other boats.  If you are the one tying up with them, then get everyone in the habit of - stationary boat put out fenders, boating typing up have lines out.  What this typically does is that the larger boat usually puts out the primary anchor first.  Smaller boats tend to tie up.  This allows the smaller boat to use their own lines.  It also makes it easier when pulling off the raft up, to allow lines to go with boat leaving, and use fenders on base boat when pulling off.

I agree with the poor design of cleat in anchor locker.  That one may be worth replacing.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,504 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As @Dream_Inn said ... it's smart to carry lines of both sizes.  Instead of replacing your cleats, maybe it would be easier to buy your buddies some 1/2" lines.  
    I have a few extra lines I can share. It’s tough though when he anchors first and throws us a line. For the anchor I have gotten used to using 1/2 inch lines and a prusik knot 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    luvinlife said:
    I have a few extra lines I can share. It’s tough though when he anchors first and throws us a line. For the anchor I have gotten used to using 1/2 inch lines and a prusik knot 

That's the problem, the boat attaching should have lines attached and throw the other end to anchored boat.  The anchored boat should have out the fenders.  Give it a try and get others to make that their rule.  It really does work well and it's one rule I always abide by (I'm also usually the anchor man, so it's easier to make others follow it :) ).

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you just need a bigger boat to fit the lines!😋
    Ras you could be right!