Options

How do you charge the batteries.

If I have shore power ON and Battery charger turned on, do I have to turn the battery knob in the back to a certain battery or even have it off for the charger to charge. The other day the batteries would not start the engine, just a click. There's something about running the fridge that will drain the batteries the last owner told me but not sure if I have it right. I left the fridge switch on and thinking maybe the shore power would run it. The fridge is AC/DC type. I just started leaving the fridge on and now the batteries are low. The bilge pump, radio, toilet, galley pump, and lights all work. I have a 2005, Fiesta Vee 2700. Has anyone had this problem?  

Best Answer

• Options
    GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The way mine is set up if their is shore power with the absence of 12 volt the fridge will run on that 
    if your isolator is good I don’t think it matters what position your switch is in the batteries will both charge .you can turn the battery switch to off then check to see if the fridge runs and put a meter on the batteries to check if their charging ,oh also on my charger their is a 30 amp fuse you can check 

Answers

• Options
    chuckrace6chuckrace6 Member Posts: 18
    Thanks, I'll check that today. I turned the battery knob OFF, left the shore power ON with the fridge OFF. I have the charger in the ON position so I'll see what that does. The fuse might be something to look at also. With the Fridge in the OFF position the shore power should keep it running. I did that yesterday after work, I'll see what it does today after I get off of work. I have two "FUSES" (breakers) that say Battery charger #1 #2 with a 70 listed on the push button . the #1 is like frozen in place. Can't push move it or anything. The #2 on is loose and you can push that one. Wonder what they are for exactly? Pic is above. Thanks again.
  • Options
    The 30 amp fuse is in the charger itself 
  • Options
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the fridge in the off position, I don’t think it will run at all.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    IanIan Member Posts: 2,778 ✭✭✭✭
    Correct.

Regards,

Ian

The Third “B”

Secretary, Ravena Coeymans Yacht Club

https://www.rcyachtclub.com/

• Options
    SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    If you're on shore power with fridge turned on, I believe it is still running off your batteries UNLESS you also turn on the fridge breaker, in the breaker box, not the box shown in the above picture.
  • Options
    aero3113aero3113 Member Posts: 8,795 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It’s possible your battery charger isn’t working and that’s why your batteries are low on shore power with the fridge on.
    2008 330EC
  • Options
    It could be the charger isn't working but the light is on it. I'll go down to the boat with a meter and chase it like that. I did have the Fridge switch on the other panel.Thanks
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    In order for both my batteries to charge, mine has to be set to "both" or "emergency start".  I was having issues with dead batteries and mechanic traced wires and said it was wired this way at the factory.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    I would check your isolator
  • Options
    06Rinker27006Rinker270 Member Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2019
    I thought so too but I was told it was fine.  Now that I have a new tech, I may ask him to look again.  I have a new battery charger.  

@chuckrace6 , I had this problem and ended up needing a new battery charger.  After that, no more dead batteries when coming to the boat.  I leave mine on "emergency start only" while charging and then switch to 1 for starting battery when underway, then switch it to 2 when I am on the hook or just want to use the house batteries.  
    Patrick
    06 Rinker 270
  • Options
    Thanks for all the info everybody, it will all be used in figuring it out. Right now as things are, my truck vehicle has been in the shop for the third day and haven't been to the boat to try anything. Truck should be done today so I'll see tonight or tomorrow  what's going on. I'll let everyone know what I find. Thanks again!
  • Options
    Well, after checking everything that I could. Problem is solved. The starter was bad so that is replaced . Thanks to everyone with your help. The answers I got can still help with the understanding of some of the workings of the boat !!  
  • Options
    Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,556 mod
    Glad you got it fixed and we all still learn from the answer! :)

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express