Bad news, cracked head

luvinlifeluvinlife Portsmouth RIPosts: 349Member ✭✭✭
My worst fears can’t true this week, I have a cracked head on my 270.  It’s a Volvo 5.7 MPI with 635 hours. I’m frustrated because I take supreme care of my boat and do all of the maintenance, preventative too.  Had her professionally winterized every year. No idea why it happened but the boat has been hauled and the mechanics will let me know if the cylinders are okay. If not i
may need a long block.  Either way I’m looking at a big nut $$.  My Rhode Island season is probably over. Well I had a great summer anyway! 

Comments

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Bay Village & Marblehead, OH.Posts: 2,412Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry to see this, could it have been cracked all summer or is this something more recent?
    Wine-N-Down -- 2006 342 Express Cruiser

• GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Greenwood Lake NY Posts: 791Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 30
    sorry to hear that ,you sure its the head ?
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 2,155Member ✭✭✭✭
    That is terrible thing to hear. The head it self is not really expensive its the work to get it off and reinstall. Good luck. If you need to go for a boat ride come over to Stonington CT. 
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • 212rowboat212rowboat Posts: 2,273Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    it isn't your fault... most often a cracked head, so long as it wasn't overheated, is a casting problem.  imperfections in casting cause hot spots and hot spots cause cracking.  

it's not a hard job.  you don't even need to pull the engine.  heads for SBC's are a dime a dozen... checkout clearwater heads.... you can get them already dressed with valve springs and valves, already adjusted (but do that anyway!!!)... add an upper engine gasket kit, and within 8 hours you're back in business. 

word of caution: you can't tell from the outside, but when you pull off that exhaust manifold you'll be able to see the interior wear/corrosion.  the the water jacket is cracked, well- there you go. 

so... 'they' know it's cracked... how do they know this for fact with heads still on? just curious... 
  • AlswaggAlswagg Posts: 2,518Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    How did this diagnosis become?  Unless you can actually see an external crack, the head needs to be magnifluxed.   What are your symptoms?   What’s the odds that your dealer says the entire engine needs replaced? 
  • luvinlifeluvinlife Portsmouth RIPosts: 349Member ✭✭✭
    My original guess was exhaust manifold failure. The marina mechanic hauled my boat out of the water and pulled the head you can see the crack.  The engine was somewhat Hydro locked and all four plugs in the starboard side were wet.  think they have to pull the engine and outdrive to do the work. If the cylinders look good I could get away with just replacing the head. I will have a discussion with them on the difference between this work and just buying a long block. 
  • randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,647Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sorry  to hear the bad news, knowing you took upmost care. It only takes a couple hours and the engine is on a stand.  And you will be able to inspect it. then make a decision. Good luck. Maybe a faulty head. 
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    Pull the engine, if the block is good, rebuild the opposite head and replace the faulty.  Hopefully no salt water entered 
  • F1100F1100 Lake SimcoePosts: 282Member ✭✭✭
    you can replace a head without pulling the engine.. get a gasket kit and a new head...it takes about 1hr work... and its pretty easy, just follow the torque pattern.. hardest part is getting the old gasket off
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
    I’m not sure why they thought they needed to but the engine is already out of the boat and the outdrive. I’m hoping the block is OK and if his head replacement. I’ll post the outcome. 
    The they pulled the motor without checking with you ? Well since it’s out you can get in there and clean up the bilge real good and check everything on your transom assembly it’s a good winter project .you can have it all set up for next season 
     I’m meeting with the mechanic this morning at 11 AM. With the engine out I am going to clean the bilge thoroughly. I will let you know what I decide to do after speaking with the expert.
    Good news, the cylinders looked good so I think I can get away with replacing the head.  Could be done by the weekend. Hoping that's the case. 
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Annapolis, MDPosts: 5,402Member, Moderator mod
    luvinlife said:
    Good news, the cylinders looked good so I think I can get away with replacing the head.  Could be done by the weekend. Hoping that's the case. 
    That's great news!

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

• randy56randy56 Newburgh INPosts: 2,647Member ✭✭✭✭
    Good news.
    Boat Name : Knot My Prolem

2003 - 270
    That’s a big savings 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Pawcatuck river CTPosts: 2,155Member ✭✭✭✭
    Sweeeet
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
    Exactly why we stock both 5.0 and 5.7 cyl heads / gasket sets.  We rebuild or replace at least 3-4 sets a year.  Most are the 5.7 in ski/ surf boats 
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 5,453Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dodged a bullet on that one!
    Looks like it. It will still be $4,000 - $5,000 with the parts, engine removal and lots of labor. But an engine would be more like $13,000 
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,596Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Would insurance cover something like this?
  • F1100F1100 Lake SimcoePosts: 282Member ✭✭✭
    $4000 to replace 1 head?    you should have done it yourself and saved $3400 , max 2hrs work
    1993 300 FIESTA VEE TWIN 5.7L ALPHA GEN 2
    They pulled the engine and outdrive and will do the work on a stand in the shop. They showed me the cylinders and the head crack. The marina charges $100 per hour labor, that's the big hit. Crane, pulling motor, head replacement, gaskets, oil, filters, spark plugs, putting it back in.  I'll let you know what the bill breaks down to. Changing it in the boat was not given as an option 
    2 hrs?? Your full of sheet.  
  • rasburyrasbury Sanford, FLPosts: 5,453Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4
    2 hours to pull the drive and maybe have the motor out- and 2 hours to put it all back( probably a liite more) and then the engine work....
  • Michael TMichael T Posts: 6,681Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 4
    100% with Al. I believe Mercruiser will pay 8 hours for a complete R&R for warranty purposes and the techs at my former marina said they would be hard pressed to remove seats etc. and do the R&R without chipping gel coat, kinking hoses, etc. even in that time. I watched the guys one afternoon (while our EC 360 was in the shop) remove a 377 Mag from a Rinker 342 - I had forgotten how many thinks have to be disconnected, plugged, taped-off, zip tied out of the way, wrapped-up, numbered and put aside. It took over 4 hours to get that mill out. Mind you these guys are very careful not to dent generators, water tanks, battery chargers etc. when removing engines and are real fussy around gel coat! 
    The weight of the cast iron manifolds, and heads, along with working up and down a ladder etc would prohibit this.  Let alone standing in a cramp bilge on a 20* floor, (hull bottom).  Face it, your mechanics don’t need to be treated like that.   The only way we would replace a cylinder head , both really, is to pull the motor.  Sure some back yard mechanic with a Craftsman torque wrench would half assed do this, but not a professional technician.  Let the guys repair it and guarantee their work.   You will be happier in the end.  Oh, and as the hourly rate, it’s in the ball park.  In our area, rates range from $85 to $125 an hour.   We are $95 hr.  Al 
    Thanks Al. I agree a backyard guy could shoehorn into the engine compartment and do it but the shop conditions are much better. I’ll let you all know the final breakdown. The mechanic ball-parked it for me. I was glad it’s not a new engine needed. That would be much more expensive. 
  • aero3113aero3113 Long Island, NYPosts: 2,596Member ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the bottom of your oil pan for corrosion while the engine is out.