New to me 272 - water and bilge issues

I have a new to me 2000 Rinker 272 that I’m going to rebuild and reupholster.

I’ve noticed that the bilge doesn’t automatically drain. Is this supposed to have a multi-position switch, or is it hardwired live?  Looks like it has the required wiring at the bilge pump...

Second question - the ski locker and the dock bumper storage both drain under the fuel tank, but there doesn’t appear to be a hole or a drain from the fuel pump to the bilge. Is this normal?  Water is collecting under the fuel tank and I think it would be better to have a drsin hole. 

Thanks!

Geoff

Comments

• lodemialodemia Member Posts: 11
    Drain. iPad issues. Lol
  • awesomeameawesomeame Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2021
    Hey Geoff.  My 262 also collects under the fuel tank.  It seems to be the lowest point in the boat.  Once the level gets high enough it enters the bilge area.  Easiest way to drain it is when you’re launching the boat.  The angle on the ramp is enough to have the water move to the back of the boat and pour out the rear plug.  Just don’t forget to put the plug in as you’re backing down the ramp lol.  Another way is to get the boat moving say 10mph. Water will move to the back and you can bail it out with a manual bailer.

The bilge float switch should be hard wired to your battery or battery switch if you have more than one battery. That way if you leave your boat and it fills with water the bilge pump will run....until your battery is dead lol.  On mine there is also a manual switch on the dash to run the bilge, although I don’t ever see a reason I would use this when it works automatically.  I fill my boat with a garden hose every year to make sure bilge operation works, and the float switch still floats.

matt
  • LaReaLaRea Member Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    @lodemia I would look at drilling a limber hole so the area under the fuel tank drains into the bilge.  

The manual bilge pump override switch lets you run the pump if the float switch fails.  Also, you can pump out some of the water that's left when the float switch cuts off.