2009ish 340 EC Questions

YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭
Hi All,

New to the forum and looking for a 340 EC in the 2009-2012 era.

Was the hardtop an option in 2009?

Was there a running change mid-2009 where the portlight configuration changed? 

I'm finding several 340s with 2 oval portlights on port side and no hardtop:

And then there are 2009 340 ECs with 4 portlights (2 round, 2 angled):

Thank you!
2008 350 EC on Georgian Bay

Comments

• YYZRCYYZRC Member Posts: 4,896 ✭✭✭✭✭

• Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    IMO  IF you want a 340 then you want the model that has the two rectangular and two round lights (on the Port side) - as pictured in the comment directly above this one.

That said why wouldn't you want the 350/360 model its interior (and most of the other features) are waaaay better than the 340 model.

For a few dollars more there is no (IMO) comparison. 
    Thank you Michael.  Is there a page/thread that discusses the changes across various model years?

I'm not set on the 340 nor am I ruling out a 350/360; I understand that the 350/36 are the preferred models - but a must-have is joystick and finding a 2009 vintage 350/360 with joystick for less than $100k seems unlikely.

Thank you.
    I find it less likely that you will find a 340 with Axius. The salesman at the dealership who I have known for 20 years said the 340s were "orphans" in the line-up. They were bigger that the 310 but not really an improvement, a "cheaper" model to hit a price point and not anywhere near the improvements in a 360. he thought Rinker should abandon that model size as his dealerc ship found them hard to sell (and refused to take any more as part of an order) and very hard to sell as trade-ins. That was his opinion. My opinion would be that I would rather have an EC 310 than a 340 - if it came down to budget. An EC 310 with twin 350 mags and Axius is a fantastic boat. I owned a 2013 vintage. It was fast, nimble, efficient and had an excellent cockpit for entertaining. Just my 2 cents.
    Can a 360 with 5.7s get up on plane without a struggle?  Seems like a lot of boat and not a lot of muscle...

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/421120/rinker-360-express-simcoe-ontario
  • SpyderwebSpyderweb Member Posts: 879 ✭✭✭
    @YYZRC, just a little background, the 340’s you have pictures above was 1st introduced as a new model in 2008 as a 330 (my boat).  The very next year the identical boat was rebadged as a 340.  Sometime after that the angled port lights were added.  And sometime after that it was rebadged as the 350.  All the same boat, same length and beam.  Last year of production was around 2016.  
    We’ve had our boat 2 seasons now.  What attracted us to this particular model vs smaller rinkers of that era was the open mid cabin.  During that era (2008) Rinker had an awful lot of cruiser models, some fairly close in size, including a 320, a holdover model, and a 350, that size wise most closely replaced the 342.  I can understand what @Michael T says about thr 340 becoming an “orphan”.  With the 2008 financial crash, there just weren’t that many buyers for cruisers anymore.
    For us, the 330/340 has been fine.  The 350/360 is a great boat, but for us, too much $ and too big for docks at out marina.
    Thank you both!  And thank you Spyder for the details on the model progression.  I prefer the look of the 330/340 without the angled portlights.

There is a 340 with Axius available, overpriced and very high hours (IMO) but nevertheless available:

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/410886/rinker-340-express-cruiser-rideau-lakes-ontario

I am in a 28' Four Winns now and I like the size of the 340.  The only appealing aspect of the 360 to me is the shower stall - not worth a circa $20k premium, however.
    edited September 2019
    @YYRZ there is a huge difference between a 340 and a 360. The downstairs cabin is radically different. I was slip mates with a 340. His first comments after getting on our new 360 were were oh s$it I think I made a mistake. He bought the new 340 that my wife and I passed on. That 20K buys waaaay more than a stand alone shower. The list is too long to mention but much bigger rear sleeping berth/stand-up area, far better/bigger galley area and walk around front berth. Again waaay different boats.
    edited September 2019
    I understand, and I can see that the cabin layout is better, etc.

I'm not interested in nor do I have the money for a 360.  The 340 I believe to be good price/value vs a Four Winns 355, which is why I am considering it.

Thank you.
    Instead of a 340 I'd get an EC 310 with twin 350 mags and Axius. IMO.
  • Dream_InnDream_Inn Member, Moderator Posts: 7,552 mod
    @YYRC - it's great to hear you are comparing other brands of similar size.  Four Winns makes a nice one as well and definitely comparable.  Just note that if you go back a few years in Rinker, the 320/312/310 (older ones, not newer) are easily comparable in size to the newer 330/340 as well (but they have a different look, which it sounds like you prefer the newer style).  The newer 310 is way smaller than the older 320/312/310 series.  Just something to note as you continue looking around.  You sound like a wise shopper that will find what you want.  Definitely keep looking because it is out there.

Dream 'Inn III -- 2008 400 Express

Why do you recommend the 310?  It is nice looking boat but I would hate to lose the extra foot of beam and the hardtop.  My four year old would love the aft cabin, however.
    edited September 2019
    YYZRC said:
    Why do you recommend the 310?  It is nice looking boat but I would hate to lose the extra foot of beam and the hardtop.  My four year old would love the aft cabin, however.

I'm just recommending looking at the older 310/312/320 as a comparison.  They are a different layout, but almost the same amount of space as the newer 340.  It's worth just taking a look for a reference, that's all.  The Beam is actually the same or maybe 2" wider on the older 310/312/320 than the newer 340.  I do understand though the desire for newer & I'm not trying to deter you from that.  Again, just want to make sure you see all options. :)  But yes, no hardtop.  & I do love my hardtop!

Just as a quick comparison, look at the detail specs:

340 specs:
    https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2009/rinker-340-express-cruiser-3526185/

320 specs (for some reason it states single inboard, but it's twin I/O):
    https://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-rinker-320-fiesta-vee-103656980/?refSource=enhanced listing

What Dream says is correct.  These 2 boats are very similar in overall size.  What we preferred on our 330/340 over the earlier 310/320 was the open mid cabin (better for socializing, easier access), U-shaped cockpit seating in stern vs. bench seat (better socializing, choice of different views when sitting anchor), built in seat on swim platform (gets lots of use).
    Spyderweb said:
    What Dream says is correct.  These 2 boats are very similar in overall size.  What we preferred on our 330/340 over the earlier 310/320 was the open mid cabin (better for socializing, easier access), U-shaped cockpit seating in stern vs. bench seat (better socializing, choice of different views when sitting anchor), built in seat on swim platform (gets lots of use).

Yes, those are definitely the largest differences between the two.  For us, we preferred the older style in the cabin, mainly for sleeping/family.  But, the newer cockpit and seating is very nice and I'd consider better as well.  

I don't know the engine room layout/size of the 340, which is usually the first thing I'd compare.  I know the older 310 and first year of 312 were the same.  Then the 312/320 changed to the generator in front of the engines (instead of stbd side), making easier access to genny, but slightly tougher for engines).  I guess I need to find a 340 and get in the engine room! :)

This is my 1st boat with twins, so nothing to compare it to, but this 330 ER is waaay bigger than my Bayliner 285 with single 5.7.

In the photo of the engines, in front of them, just out of the frame (bottom) is a full width shelf where the holding tank (shown in 2nd photo) and water tank sit.  There's enough of a ledge in front of those tanks you can sit comfortably on it, facing engines,  with feet dangling in bilge.  

• Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I've got no problem giving a shameless plug here for my 2006 342 which is for sale, I'd say that you should make sure to go walk on several models and choose what works best for you. If you've done that and you like the 340, well then go find the right 340 for you. Good luck! 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

Saw the 340 yesterday.  Nice boat and the layout works for me.  Lots of little parts and pieces were in need of replacement.  How is Rinker for parts?  Is there an online catalog?  Are parts generally still available for 2009s?

Thank you.
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on the parts and pieces. Like most boats the individual components are outsourced from marine suppliers. Switches, hardware etc are generally available. Larger components like doors, seats etc may not be. No online catalogue from Rinker but there are contacts at Rinker that may be able to help.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Will. It can be easy to find parts that would be used on other boats or can be made by Dirty, but Rinker specific parts are not easy to come by and that is a less common model which would make it more difficult. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

YYZRC said:
    Thank you both!  And thank you Spyder for the details on the model progression.  I prefer the look of the 330/340 without the angled portlights.

There is a 340 with Axius available, overpriced and very high hours (IMO) but nevertheless available:

https://www.boatdealers.ca/boats-for-sale/410886/rinker-340-express-cruiser-rideau-lakes-ontario

I am in a 28' Four Winns now and I like the size of the 340.  The only appealing aspect of the 360 to me is the shower stall - not worth a circa $20k premium, however.
    Bringing this back to life because this was my first thread on this board and @aero3113 reminded me of the good old days!

The 2009 340 I referenced above was for sale for $140k CDN at the time. I offered $110k and it was initially rejected and then after I made a deal on the 330 the seller came back and asked me to take the deal. 

Anyway - that same boat is now for sale for $195k CDN. It used to be owned by a forum member “OldDogNewTrix”.

Old Dog New Trix used to be moored at Len's Cove Marina, Portland, Ontario, Canada where I bought all my Rinkers. I saw it many times and talked with the owners. 195K eh? wow!