Boat lists/leans to starboard

'03 312 FV lists to starboard when docked and underway.  Four batteries - two port and two starboard with the genset in-between.  Easiest way to fix?  Try to keep water full and waste low but not only is this not very practical is doesn't help that much.
'03 Rinker 312 Fiesta Vee

Comments

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    While underway it would be trim tabs to level. Not much you can do at rest except move weight around. For a big hull it's amazing what just a few pounds will do.
    If it's a bad list I'd also make sure you don't have water coming in anywhere that has gotten into the hull but that would be an extreme case.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • PickleRickPickleRick Member Posts: 3,882 ✭✭✭✭
    Make all those pretty ladies on board move move to the side that needs to go down one at a time until she levels out.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Believe your head and galley are both to stbd? They add a lot of weight to one side 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    move your fat butt to the other side, problem solved.....JK- seems none of them sit "flat" in the water.... just does not take much to make a boat list I guess....get a few more beers out of the fridge.
  • RamkerRamker Member Posts: 32
    Willhound said:
    While underway it would be trim tabs to level. Not much you can do at rest except move weight around. For a big hull it's amazing what just a few pounds will do.
    If it's a bad list I'd also make sure you don't have water coming in anywhere that has gotten into the hull but that would be an extreme case.
    Will play with the tabs more while underway.  Yeah was surprised especially with how wide the beam is (for that length boat).
    I bet even on an extremely large boat, if you could measure it you would find it off at least a few inches....mine does the same but for sure you can control it with tabs...that's what they are for.
    Believe your head and galley are both to stbd? They add a lot of weight to one side 
    That is correct.

Moving all of the beer to the other side would reverse the lean ;)

Maybe moving the two starboard batteries as far port as possible would help.

That may help. When I installed a second house battery I shoved it over as much as I could. For trimming side to side under way, less is more. Just little nudges on the switch for "bow down" on the high side. It takes a few seconds for the effect so if you grab a big handful of switch you can find yourself suddenly healed over quite steep. Wind and wave direction will also affect it so it's not a set it and forget it thing, sometimes have to adjust on the fly.
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Ramker. I have a 2005 320 with the same issue. I was going to move the genny over to the port side as this is where Rinker has it in the 2008 320. After looking at all the work it would take I decided that it was not worth the effort. It does not affect performance but it does pisses me off when I walk up to my slip and see it sagging to starboard 
  • rinker270nbrinker270nb Member Posts: 207 ✭✭✭
     I went through this and finally found what was making me lean. It was gear and low water in water system.  Has it always been leaning?  If not, try getting all of the water, waste, and gear off the boat to see if it's balanced.  Check for any water in Hull.
    In wake board boats its not uncommon to find lead sheets epoxied down inside the hull.  They use it for ballast to build more wake but it could also be used to help level any boat.  

They are flat so it wont take much space.  Coolers or buckets filled with water can give an idea of how much weight to place.  Lead wont rust.  I think my step brother has added about 400 lbs to the front of his Malibu wakesetter.  Sucks when boats like that come into a barrow cove where everyone is anchored.  

• dropoutdropout Member Posts: 138 ✭✭✭
    Try topping of the gas tanks first.
  • zaverin1zaverin1 Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    312 is known to list
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do agree with Dropout on topping off fuel tanks, if one gauge is off by 20 or 30 gallons that is enough weight for a list. 
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

The list is built in at the factory. All the heavy stuff is on the starboard side. Head, galley, two fridges deck entertainment area with corian counter tops , large holding tank. It was poor factory designing 
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    You can buy lead weights to fix it. They are in bags and used for ski/wakeboard boats. Drop in place and move around as needed. 

https://www.leadwake.com/

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    I'm not sure how excited I would be to add more weight. If I was going to do anything it would be to shift weight around but at the end of the day the time and effort to do that out weighs the benefits 
    have you ever considered just dealing with it and moving on? Does it make you want to fall over or is it just the visual that is bothering you? Your going to drive yourself nuts and then when this tank is low or that tank is low or you put an extra cooler on one side....I'd move on to bigger problems! IMOO
  • Michael TMichael T Member Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Move your beer to the opposite side of where you have it now! On a serious note, as said above, this is common to many, if not most, cruisers. We all learn how to move what we can around and even re-position batteries etc. in the engine compartment.
  • adboyd06adboyd06 Member Posts: 1
    edited September 2019
    To me, it is visually unappealing.  Manipulating the tabs while underway solves the problem.  Got a pump out over the weekend and that coupled with a full fresh water tank temporarily (mostly) removed the list.
    edited September 2019
    Im ocd and don't like knowing im not level.  Unless you're trailering i dont see an issue with adding up to to 200 or even 300 lbs of weight if re arranging items is an issue. That's the weight of a couple models or one chick who weighs as much as a couple models. 

If youre in gasser cabin cruiser mpgs are of no concern lol.  If it was you'd have a diesel.
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You would be surprised how little weight you need to add when added near the beam of the boat. All about the lever moment. Those lead bags are tge trick. A slipmate with a nice 30’ center console just solved the same problem with those weighted bags. Super common to use on wake board boats. That 8’ beam is easy to get off center. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Exploring options - What's the cheapest way to add a few hundred pounds?
    $50 street hooker?  :D ...sorry....just couldn't resist.
    I'd seriously look at moving a battery or two if you can. Or add to your house battery bank. If you're going to spend money and add weight it might as well be useful.
    Of course, my first suggestion could be useful also...nudge nudge wink wink

Id first use 5 gallons or even 3 gallon buckets of water. Move them around the boat until you get level and know approx weight you need.  

Once you know approx weight you can then buy lead. I didn't know they offered bags of lead, im local to several industrial scrap metal recycle shops so when my step brother wanted to add weight to his wakesetter he bought scrap sheets of lead for scrap resell prices.  He then epoxied them into his hull where they dont slide around, he can pop them back up pretty easily if he wanted to as it was just tack spots of epoxy.  A paint scraper.  
    Or perhaps I think I suggested, don't worry about it. Even if you get it balanced, something will change and there you go again!