bravo three noise in gear

goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this noise. 2005 320 with Bravo 3. 560 hours . Port drive has a slight growl/whirr when put in forward or reverse. noise is very light put is gone when in neutral. Drive oil has always been changed annually with Merc high performance lube. The boat is coming out next week so I was going to change and inspect oil maybe run on muffs and listen to the case with a stethoscope. any thoughts ? Thanks

Comments

• Cableguy GregCableguy Greg Member Posts: 5,011 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gimbal bearing? That would be my first guess.
    2008 280 Express Cruiser, 6.2MPI, B3, Pittsburgh, PA "Blue Ayes"
    Go Steelers!!!
  • goalie59goalie59 Member Posts: 325 ✭✭✭
    Thanks Greg. I was under the assumption that in neutral the shaft is spinning the gimbal? Are you thinking that the load of being put in gear is making the noise. I have heard gimbal noises before and you usually hear them as soon as the engine is started
  • GMSLITHOGMSLITHO Member Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭✭
    Does the pitch change when you raise and lower the drive

• rasburyrasbury Member Posts: 8,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    560 hours...clutch? Rebuild time?
    I will check that next time I have it out. I will take a close look at the oil when I drain it. Ras I would be surprised that it needs an overhaul at such low hours but I did not have the boat for the first four years so can not speak to how it's previous owner took care of it 
  • reneechris14reneechris14 Member Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Definently pull the drive when you come out. A small amount of water in bellows could make u-joint growl. Gimbal could make noise only when pressure is applied. Clutch cone could be worn but i think this make a delay in shifting. With the drive off the 1st two can be checked.
    2005 Rinker FV342  Pawcatuck river,Ct
  • Black_DiamondBlack_Diamond Member Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Check the coupler too. 

Past owner of a 2003 342FV
    PC BYC, Holland, MI
    Good point @Black_Diamond a misaligned engine will make a good gimbal make noise.
  • rmfridayrmfriday Member Posts: 103 ✭✭
    If you only hear the noise when it is in gear the issue is most likely in the lower portion of the drive. The U-joints, upper gears, coupler, gimbel are all spinning regardless weather or not you are in gear.
    rmfriday said:
    If you only hear the noise when it is in gear the issue is most likely in the lower portion of the drive. The U-joints, upper gears, coupler, gimbel are all spinning regardless weather or not you are in gear.
    A free spinning U-joint,gears or gimbal could be quite but when add pressure from the torque of the props is when the noise arises. Example is when making a hard turn left or right brings on bearing noise.
    Thanks for all the input. The noise is the same weather you are turning or trimming. It is a very light noise almost sounds like something is just starting to wear. I will inspect the oil maybe run it on muffs and listen to the case with a stethoscope 
  • J3ffJ3ff Member Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mine is up in the air right now to get checked out... 
    Small amount of milk in both port and starboard oil. This is the first year that I have noticed this. Drives will. Be pulled and inspected next week. I guess it is my turn to spend some money 
    same symptom here, just waiting for mechanic to take a look. it's been months of trying to get it figured out. 
    Thanks Al. I will pass those words on. With the condition of the oil I am wondering if it took out a bearing as the noise just showed up recently and this is the first year the oil has been contaminated 
    My oil now drains out asap when it comes out of the water.. hoping to make some progress with the mechanics tomorrow. 
    Mechanic says needs to be rebuilt completely, including new bellows.. 
    Update: I had both outdrives overhauled, all bellows, shift cables and outdrive fresh water pick up hoses replaced (bravo itis) trim sender pucks. 39 hours labour which I thought was excessive. Hopefully this will provide me with several years of service. Dam outdrives.
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Great that it’s done! Yea 39 hours is a lot, I had the same done to two B3s a few years ago including shift cables, bellows, trim senders, oil lines, etc... i believe it was 14 hours, give or take a few. That said I’m freshwater so if you are salt I could see it taking longer (but not more than double!). 

Did they open your drives and review the gears? I did not do that so maybe that’s why your labor is so many hours
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)

• WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow. 39 hours? When you say overhauled, did they do an interior re-build? I'm single drive but I had all new bellows, cables, seals, water pick up and gimbal bearing done and it was about 7 hours. Didn't replace the trim senders though, they were ok.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
    Yes, they pulled both drives and tore them apart resealing both and replacing input bearings on the one. Some of the time was because they had to remove the steering actuator to gain access to the water hose housing clip for the fresh water pick ups
  • WillhoundWillhound Member Posts: 4,183 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The input bearing and steering actuator would add time for sure.
    I'm extremely lucky. My mechanic offers a service every fall where he pulls the drive, takes it to his shop and pressure tests it, changes the oil and while he's at it inspects the gimbal bearing and then re-installs following alignment procedures, all for about $250 USD. Although I changed my gimbal two years ago it appears the seal leaked, compromising the bearing, so we're changing the seal and bearing again but he's only charging for the parts since he has it apart anyway. But I always slip him a few extra bucks in situations like this anyway because I do value his time and experience.
    "Knot Quite Shore" - 2000 FV270
  • Liberty44140Liberty44140 Member Posts: 4,318 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ahh, well I’d they tore them apart like that then it makes more sense. An entire work week on just two drives sounds like a lot but in reality it may be fair....
    07' Cruisers 390 (Previous Rinker's: 06' 342EC & 01' 310FV)